Adding my first corals.

Mindblock769

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spontaneously bought some corals on a R2R sale. I have 2 clownfish that have been in the tank for about 2+ weeks now.

I have a fully cycled QT tank setup for a foxface coming in this week, but am not prepared for corals. I'm thinking today I will go pick up a small (5gal) AIO tank from petco and try to quickly cycle it with a sponge thats been in my DT for about a week, and I have a bottle of biospira.

All I have is API kits and have only measured, NH3 = 0ppm NO2 = 0ppm NO3 = ~10ppm - I do the reef master kit which has calcium, phosphate.

Here a pics of the corals I got. I've read a lot about removing the plugs from the corals, but looking at these corals, how the heck are you supposed to do that?

So I plan on quickly setting up a QT tank. Dipping in Bayer, dipping in CoralRx, and letting them sit in QT for an undetermined amount of time.

Any tips/tricks/advice for me?

1632748065592.png
1632748073423.png

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just break off the posts on the frag plugs and mount the little discs on the rocks. They disappear when the coral grows in!

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I thought the whole point of removing the plug/disc is to prevent hitchhikers, or bayer dip soaking into the disc, right?
Personally I haven't heard of a need to remove the plugs completely. In my mind, if there are hitchhikers on the frag plug then they're likely on the coral too. The dip could potentially soak into the plug itself, but I feel like we'd see more stories of tanks taken down by rogue dips if it were something we'd have to be concerned about.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back