Adding new clown with maroon pair

sikemd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of maroon clowns that have a small part of territory on lock in the back bottom right side of the tank. I don't see them very often. I'd like to add a bright colored, more active clown to the tank, probably an Oc. The maroons are mildly aggressive... Not so much toward other fish though... that I notice at least. They let most of their tank mates come in their space frequently without getting aggressive. They rearrange and attack my hands when I'm in their area though. Its a 90g bow front with live rock going all the way up the back wall. I don't have any hosting nems or corals. I do have some frogspawn frags but they are small. I think I can get away with adding one since there is plenty of hiding area and the maroons only use a small portion of the tank but i guess it's possible it could tick off one of the maroons enough that they would be willing to leave their territory to hunt down and Chase the new clown... What is the possibility I can get away with it?

If I try it should the new addition be as large or larger or could I get away with a juvi?

The tank is very peaceful besides a monster gorilla crab that eats anything it can (haven't seen it in awhile... hoping it is somehow gone). I don't want to start any trouble in there and getting fish out once they are in is not so easy although I have done it before with screen and patience.

Attached a pic of the tank setup.

IMG_20161019_170444840_HDR.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using REEF2REEF mobile app

OP
OP
sikemd

sikemd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, thanks for the input, that's all I needed to hear... I won't try it. Maybe eventually I'll rehome the maroons, they are more of a pain than anything. They've tortured to death every nem I've put in there and they are the only territorial fish in there. I also don't like them nipping the hand that feeds, I'm never expecting it and it scares me every time.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons are just about the nastiest clowns out there. They are true damsels. Your maroons may be relatively peaceful to current tankmates however, they can be brutal to other clownfish. They may appear to only claim a small part of your 90g, but in reality they probably are claiming it all. They won't welcome another clownfish, juvenile or adult.

Over the last 40 years, I have owned several maroons and this is the only species that i have had that consistently and literally will bite the hand that feeds them. There are several very beautiful designer maroons on the market now, but I'll never put one in my tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sikemd

sikemd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, evil dark Nemos. Definitely not my favorite fish. Besides the difficulty of catching them, they were among the first fish that in were in the tank so I feel somehow attached to them (attached to a fish?)... I think I'm going to try to trade them out soon when I get bored enough to setup the trap. They add almost no enjoyment to the tank since they are so reclusive and I honestly like the brighter clowns myself... and they have bad attitudes.

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love maroons but they are evil. I had a female who made it her personal mission to bite and rearrange any frag added to the tank.

lightningreef2690

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lightning maroon and a gold nugget and they havent shown any aggression whatsoever since being introduced into my system, but they are still juvies so we will have to wait and see.

I also have a pair of ocellaris in a separate system ofcourse, and they are the shyest fish in the tank. They swim away and hide as soon as they see me coming near the tank lol

Guess im just lucky for now

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lightning maroon and a gold nugget and they havent shown any aggression whatsoever since being introduced into my system, but they are still juvies so we will have to wait and see.

I also have a pair of ocellaris in a separate system ofcourse, and they are the shyest fish in the tank. They swim away and hide as soon as they see me coming near the tank lol

Guess im just lucky for now

When they mature that will most likely change.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the lightning maroon clownfish, are they different in aggression than regular maroon? I also like the black ice snowflake. I like any that have different patterns, so which are the best for new hobbyists and are the least aggressive?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the lightning maroon clownfish, are they different in aggression than regular maroon? I also like the black ice snowflake. I like any that have different patterns, so which are the best for new hobbyists and are the least aggressive?
Maroons are maroons. They are bred for color and markings, not temperament, although it's claimed that captive bred clownfish are slightly less aggressive than their wild caught counterparts.
The ocellaris and percula clownfish are generally much less aggressive, so just pick whichever color and pattern suits you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back