Adding new lights to my current light rack, could use some DIY ideas (pics inside)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biff0rz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
2,397
Reaction score
1,449
Location
Michigan (SE)
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Alrighty, I currently have a light rack made of 1x1xN extruded aluminum. I have two photon 50 v2+'s and two or3 150's mounted on the rack. The or3's are angled inward with the provided brackets. I am adding two A8SE Pro's to both ends of the tank. I have an sps tank and the par on the ends is insufficient. I want to add the A8's on an angle (45*) to gain par in the dark ends but also add some side-lighting/par to the rest of the tank. I drew this up in a 3d cad program of what I'm thinking. The new lights are in red, and I purchased them with X brackets (unknown dimensions until delivered). My initial thought was to extend the main I-beam with more 1x1 alum on top and then some sort of bracket below it. Does anyone have any good angle bracket suggestions that would work well in this situation? The mount point on the X bracket is right on the middle-top and then that mounts to the 4 holes on the top of the A8 light.

Current setup:
Top-down
1765415334547.png

Bottom-up
1765415352306.png

New light 3d model
1765415390499.png
 
Alrighty, I currently have a light rack made of 1x1xN extruded aluminum. I have two photon 50 v2+'s and two or3 150's mounted on the rack. The or3's are angled inward with the provided brackets. I am adding two A8SE Pro's to both ends of the tank. I have an sps tank and the par on the ends is insufficient. I want to add the A8's on an angle (45*) to gain par in the dark ends but also add some side-lighting/par to the rest of the tank. I drew this up in a 3d cad program of what I'm thinking. The new lights are in red, and I purchased them with X brackets (unknown dimensions until delivered). My initial thought was to extend the main I-beam with more 1x1 alum on top and then some sort of bracket below it. Does anyone have any good angle bracket suggestions that would work well in this situation? The mount point on the X bracket is right on the middle-top and then that mounts to the 4 holes on the top of the A8 light.

Current setup:
Top-down
1765415334547.png

Bottom-up
1765415352306.png

New light 3d model
1765415390499.png
Warning! Ugly and rudimentart pic being uploaded below!

Why not forego the mount, get some aluminum flat stock, make the appropriate bends (yes, I know, much easier if you have a brake) screw it into the square aluminum and then screw the lights into the flat stock? Simple, iexpensive and easy. Just a thought.

Sorry about the pic. I am on a new tablet and used Canva as I'm not even sure what other app I could use on here to alter the pic. Hand -drawn and shakey purple lines represent the aluminum flat stock.

Screenshot_20251211_042835_Canva.jpg
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new