Adding new sand to existing sand bed

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikebusc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mikebusc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2023
Messages
304
Reaction score
175
Location
Douglassville, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!
I have an established 120 gallon mixed reef aquarium. Recently acquired a tiger shrimp Gobi. Loves burrowing in the sand and making hills and mountains! I wanted to make my sand bed a little deeper in parts. I have a bag of unopened CARIBSEA ocean direct Caribbean live sand. Had since I started the tank about a year and a half ago. Does anyone know if it has an expiration date? I know there are live organisms in it, but not sure how long they last for. And if putting it in the tank now would be detrimental. I’ll definitely rinse it in seawater first. I also saw on the bags instructions that if adding to an existing sand bed, it should be mixed in small portions at a time over a few days. (It also warned about bad things happening if not done this way). Any other info this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
Just add a drinking size cup of new sand weekly until you reach your desired depth. Make sure to rinse the new sand in fresh RO water prior to adding. Put it in by sinking the cup of sand to the bottom then dump. Don’t just dump in from the top of the tank or you will have a sand/dust storm…
 
Put 5 extra pounds at one time, it didn't do anything.
Take as much sand as you want to put in. Rinse it till perfectly clear water running from it then put it where you want in the tank.

Changed out black to TBS sand in one day.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new