Adding Nitrate

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am restarting my old existing tank, pulling out the softies and gearing up for an SPS run, the one thing I dont have is Nitrates. I have never had them, not a single traceable amount since this tank was born. It is a 250g display with a 75g fuge and an over sized skimmer. I have, I think 16 fish at this time and feed everyday sometimes twice a day.

I would like to know if others have ran into this and do I just feed more, a bigger variety of foods, see about adding more livestock, or possibly dose something to kind of help things balance better.

With an phosphate of around .06 -.08 I would think a little more nutrients in the nitrate range couldnt hurt.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if the nitrate kit is working? :D

Assuming it is, feeding more or dosing nitrate are both fine plans. :)

Afraid so... LOL I have tested it using my Salifert kit, my Red Sea kit and even took some to the LFS and they ran a API kit through it.. Nada. Never have had an issue with Nitrates or Phosphates in this tank until recently I noticed a Phosphate issue. However, the tank did suffer 2 years of neglect and was (by my kids, me not knowing) topped off with tap water a lot last summer and the RODI filters were not changed. I figure with a few more water changes and a little GFO, these will subside with ease. The only issue I have ever had is the heat.... It just happens to be in a garage and since the chiller went out and nuked everything I havent had the will to restart it until now. Just trying to get everything back in order. Grew a LOT of kenya trees though!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back