Adding pause to an ac pump for feeding

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how I can pause my ac pump on my tank to allow feeding. I’ve been currently just unplugging it while I feed but occasionally get distracted and forget to plug it back in. Ideally I’m looking for something that I can plug the pump into and be able to push a button to shut it off for 10 minutes and have it turn back on automatically. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart plug/outlet, power strip with a switch, in line corded plug switch, a pump with a controller ... I can think of a few Good luck!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
ScottD

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys would a smart switch be able to be programmed to turn back on by itself? I’m looking for something that I don’t have to think about when I walk away. I need something I can just feed and walk away from and it will power back on itself after a set amount of time. A power strip, in-line switch etc would be no different than my current situation. Unfortunately it’s also not possible to get a new pump with that feature built into it.

CoralFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys would a smart switch be able to be programmed to turn back on by itself? I’m looking for something that I don’t have to think about when I walk away. I need something I can just feed and walk away from and it will power back on itself after a set amount of time. A power strip, in-line switch etc would be no different than my current situation. Unfortunately it’s also not possible to get a new pump with that feature built into it.
Every smart outlet will be different, but many (most?) have a routine you can program. Just have it "turn on" the outlet on the hour (or half hour), every hour.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually nowadays timer plugs have countdown functions. A smart switch needs a connection to the internet and Alexa or google and all that additional spyware nonsense.

OP
OP
ScottD

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bean. I had kinda forgotten about/given up on this. I’ll take a look at putting this together. Would Mouser Electronics be a good place to get all the parts or anywhere else you’d recommend?
Mouser, DigiKey, Alied, SparkFun, etc. Sparkfun may even have a 555 board that you can wire the resistors and caps to. I did not look, but bet there are 100 different 555 timer boards on amazon too. Just needs the caps, resistors and a relay.

I etched that small board, but a per board would work too.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also do this with a simple intermatic sping timer (think bathroom heat lamps).

They used to make Normally Open and Normally Closed timers like that or timers with both sets of contacts.

I would guess that the Normally Closed style is a rarity these days.

So you would wire the timer to a 120V relay. The pumps would be on the Relay NC closed contacts. The timer would energize the relay and open the contacts. Simple and pretty bullet proof.

I built the 555 timer solution because I like to build things and wanted adjustable and the push of a button and a cancel button.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a simple programmable timer you can get on amazon (probably other places too) called "nearpow"

It supports all kinds of modes - one of which is like "press a button and turn off for 15 minutes" (any time amount you choose) - so you'd press the button to turn the pump off, then after however long you set, it turns back on

OP
OP
ScottD

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a simple programmable timer you can get on amazon (probably other places too) called "nearpow"

It supports all kinds of modes - one of which is like "press a button and turn off for 15 minutes" (any time amount you choose) - so you'd press the button to turn the pump off, then after however long you set, it turns back on
Thanks, I ordered one to try it out, but seems to do what I’m looking for out of the box.

OP
OP
ScottD

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also do this with a simple intermatic sping timer (think bathroom heat lamps).

They used to make Normally Open and Normally Closed timers like that or timers with both sets of contacts.

So you would wire the timer to a 120V relay. The pumps would be on the Relay NC closed contacts. The timer would energize the relay and open the contacts. Simple and pretty bullet proof.

I built the 555 timer solution because I like to build things and wanted adjustable and the push of a button and a cancel button.
Thanks for all your help and info, greatly appreciate it. I think for now I’m going to give fishyjoes suggestion a try first. While I’m comfortable with going about your way, just have higher priorities at the moment.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help and info, greatly appreciate it. I think for now I’m going to give fishyjoes suggestion a try first. While I’m comfortable with going about your way, just have higher priorities at the moment.
That stuff was not available when I built my feeding timer. I would just buy what works...and it looks like you did.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just had my team install something like this to shut off vending and ice machines in our breakroom when we have meetings. Intermatic timer and a AB normally closed contactor.

OP
OP
ScottD

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stuff was not available when I built my feeding timer. I would just buy what works...and it looks like you did.
Sometimes it’s just fun to tinker with things and do it yourself. I’ve been know to do things just because I can learn something new or play around that you miss out on with just buying something. My wife has been known to roll her eyes at some of them. It’s not always about the destination, the journey is far better than the end point.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back