Adding Rock and Sand to established tank?????

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! I have a 40gal tall tank with 2 clownfish, 3 damsels, and 1 leather toadstool coral with 1 new mystery coral on the way.

My question is; Can I add more live rock, because I do not have a whole lot of rock in the tank already. Also, how do I go about adding sand, my sand bed is starting to become light and bare in some spots? Wanting to do this correctly so I don't throw off the tank, I've read it could maybe start a new cycle, etc.? New aquarium owner.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the live rock is in an established tank, I wouldn’t hesitate. And if you’re thinking live sand like Caribsea brand. Just cut the top off and lower the bag down and slowly dump. I’ve never had re-cycling issues with either of those tasks.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a 40gal tall tank with 2 clownfish, 3 damsels, and 1 leather toadstool coral with 1 new mystery coral on the way.

My question is; Can I add more live rock, because I do not have a whole lot of rock in the tank already. Also, how do I go about adding sand, my sand bed is starting to become light and bare in some spots? Wanting to do this correctly so I don't throw off the tank, I've read it could maybe start a new cycle, etc.? New aquarium owner.
Sure, go ahead with that.
Anytime you want.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kileki

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If the live rock is in an established tank, I wouldn’t hesitate. And if you’re thinking live sand like Caribsea brand. Just cut the top off and lower the bag down and slowly dump. I’ve never had re-cycling issues with either of those tasks.
It is "dry live rock" I got from my LFS in November, and it's caribsea aragonite for my substrate

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kileki

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would rinse the sand until it runs clear.
Rinse with just tap water? This wont cause a problem? I dont need to add a whole lot of crushed coral arragonite, but I do need to start filling some of these more bare spots soon, I have shifted it around so I dont see the bottom glass, but its getting close.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kileki

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for duplicate message its the crushed coral stuff.

Upvote 0

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is "dry live rock" I got from my LFS in November, and it's caribsea aragonite for my substrate
Rinse the sand till water is clear with tap, then a final slosh with RODI. Drain as best you can. You can pour the sand through a chunk of PVC pipe to put it where you want it. Your rock is just dry rock. No worries, just put it in. You want to rince that with RODI, also.

Upvote 0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse with just tap water? This wont cause a problem? I dont need to add a whole lot of crushed coral arragonite, but I do need to start filling some of these more bare spots soon, I have shifted it around so I dont see the bottom glass, but its getting close.
I always rinse with tap water (it can take hours if you have a lot) and it never caused any problems. Just leave as little water as possible.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kileki

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be wanting to add the live dry rock stuff that LFS sell, like mine has them in a box under their tanks that you can pick from and pay based on their wieght. Is that what you mean?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kileki

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really glad you asked this because I have an identical situation. Same scenario with dry rock and caribsea aragonite
Nice to see I am not the only one with this issue! lol
I would be wanting to add the live dry rock stuff that LFS sell, like mine has them in a box under their tanks that you can pick from and pay based on their wieght. Is that what you mean?

Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s new manufactured rock then yes put it in. But if it’s old dried live rock with sponges, algae, detritus etc. then don’t put that in. When it comes in contact with water it will spike your ammonia.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kileki

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s new manufactured rock then yes put it in. But if it’s old dried live rock with sponges, algae, detritus etc. then don’t put that in. When it comes in contact with water it will spike your ammonia.
So adding a new bag of crushed coral aragonite will also be ok after rinsing it? Probably wont even need to use an entire bag, probably 50-75% of one.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So adding a new bag of crushed coral aragonite will also be ok after rinsing it? Probably wont even need to use an entire bag, probably 50-75% of one.
Most important.... If it is old live rock that has dried and not completely cleaned it will crash the tank. Also it is no longer live rock. If it is new "Life" rock (not the same as live rock) Rinse and put in

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kileki

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most important.... If it is old live rock that has dried and not completely cleaned it will crash the tank. Also it is no longer live rock. If it is new "Life" rock (not the same as live rock) Rinse and put in

It's exactly like this stuff, so I am good to put it in then?

Upvote 0

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back