Adding Rock and Sand to established tank?????

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! I have a 40gal tall tank with 2 clownfish, 3 damsels, and 1 leather toadstool coral with 1 new mystery coral on the way.

My question is; Can I add more live rock, because I do not have a whole lot of rock in the tank already. Also, how do I go about adding sand, my sand bed is starting to become light and bare in some spots? Wanting to do this correctly so I don't throw off the tank, I've read it could maybe start a new cycle, etc.? New aquarium owner.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's exactly like this stuff, so I am good to put it in then?
Should be good. When you post in the future so there's no misunderstanding, call it life rock. When we say live rock, that's wet rock that's been is the ocean or someone tank for a long time and is full of critters

Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So adding a new bag of crushed coral aragonite will also be ok after rinsing it? Probably wont even need to use an entire bag, probably 50-75% of one.
Crushed coral should be fine. Do it gradually though. You don’t want to smother the life that now live in your sandbed. It could very well kill it and you’d create a stressful ammonia spike. Do 25% of your tank at a time. Say every couple days. Slowly mix old substrate a bit with new. Let sit for a couple of days and repeat another 25 % of tanks substrate. One week later. You’re good to go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kileki

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crushed coral should be fine. Do it gradually though. You don’t want to smother the life that now live in your sandbed. It could very well kill it and you’d create a stressful ammonia spike. Do 25% of your tank at a time. Say every couple days. Slowly mix old substrate a bit with new. Let sit for a couple of days and repeat another 25 % of tanks substrate. One week later. You’re good to go.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back