Adding trace elements to 2-part

Bnagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add trace elements directly to ESV Alk or calc supplement instead of using separate doser? Such as B-ionic transition elements?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add trace elements directly to ESV Alk or calc supplement instead of using separate doser? Such as B-ionic transition elements?

Possibly. Certainly some elements can be added to the calcium part. Whether that particular additive can depends on exactly what forms of how much of what are in it.

Don't try it in the alk part.

OP
OP
Bnagle

Bnagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly. Certainly some elements can be added to the calcium part. Whether that particular additive can depends on exactly what forms of how much of what are in it.

Don't try it in the alk part.

Which elements can be added directly to calcium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which elements can be added directly to calcium?

Depends on the form used, and since there are more than a hundred elements with many forms each, it might be easier to ask what you want to use first.

I'm also not sure if you really mean trace elements, or it you also mean things like iodine/potassium/magnesium/etc. which are not trace elements but which many people dose. Those can be put into the calcium part, as long as they are not added as sulfate salts (e.g., no magnesium sulfate in the calcium part).

Many of the simple metals can be put into the calcium part, but if you are using something like ferrous gluconate (my recommended DIY iron supplement), I'm not actually certain if it is stable in the calcium part since the calcium may grab up the gluconate, and leave the iron to possibly precipitate if it oxidizes to ferric hydroxide/oxide.

Hence the really large complexity of such a seemingly simple question.

Back