DIY 2 part qustions

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I’m trying to work out the recipe using randy’s 3 part Alk, ca, mg with soda ash(carbonate) incorporating FM trace elements, calcium chloride dehydrate and magnesium hexahydrate. I would like to incorporate fauna marines trace elements similar to their method. Is it the same as FM describe, 2kg cacl, 2kg mg, and 500g sodium carbonate per 5l rodi with 25ml of each trace per mix.
I assume I wouldn’t require part c for this as the traces are dosed via the 3 part, but will need to remove salt water to prevent a salinity rise?
Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I’m trying to work out the recipe using randy’s 3 part Alk, ca, mg with soda ash(carbonate) incorporating FM trace elements, calcium chloride dehydrate and magnesium hexahydrate. I would like to incorporate fauna marines trace elements similar to their method. Is it the same as FM describe, 2kg cacl, 2kg mg, and 500g sodium carbonate per 5l rodi with 25ml of each trace per mix.
I assume I wouldn’t require part c for this as the traces are dosed via the 3 part, but will need to remove salt water to prevent a salinity rise?
Thanks.

The fauna Marin recipe looks more potent, and Balling Part C is not a trace element supplement.

My recommendation is calcium chloride, sodium carbonate, Balling Part C, and trace elements as desired.

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fauna Marin recipe looks more potent, and Balling Part C is not a trace element supplement.

My recommendation is calcium chloride, sodium carbonate, Balling Part C, and trace elements as desired.
Hi Randy, I understand the part c function, but I guess it must contain trace elements in the salt. I didn’t want to add extra trace to the other liquids and overdose. It seems it’s ok to do this. Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, I understand the part c function, but I guess it must contain trace elements in the salt. I didn’t want to add extra trace to the other liquids and overdose. It seems it’s ok to do this. Thanks

That is not ever a concern because Balling part C does not supplement these AT ALL against consumption. This is a very common misperception.

Here's a copy and paste from a different thread explaining this issue:

Don't be confused by the elements in ESV B-ionic. They ARE NOT a way to offset any consumption of those elements. Same applies to Balling Part C. Using each of these methods may actually lower an element if it is higher than NSW concentrations, and both act exactly like a tiny water change each day.

Here's how that works.

The main ingredients in ESV are sodium carbonate and calcium chloride.

After a coral uses the calcium and carbonate, sodium and chloride are left, raising salinity.

Since folks maintain salinity, there is a slight salinity correction needed.

Each time you make such a correction (whether you realize making the correction or not, but, say, skimming), the concentrations of ALL ions declines. For example, potassium declines from that salinity correction.

ESV (and TM in Balling Part C) add back exactly that amount of, say, potassium, lost by the salinity correction, and potassium is back to normal, In fact, everything is ideally back to normal.

Not all two parts act this way. Some claim to add extra trace elements, and that is fine, but ESV and Balling do not are thus are not ever intended to compensate for consumption of, say, potassium, by organisms.

Thus, ESV B-ionic does not contribute to overdosing any trace elements.

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As in your recipe with the trace elements? Thanks again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in your recipe with the trace elements? Thanks again

As in calcium chloride, sodium carbonate, Balling Part C, and then, if you want, some additional trace elements, either individual DIY (e.g., iron) or something like Tropic Marin A and K.

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just another quick question. You mention to me in another post that I may need to still dose some mag. If I work out my consumption can I add a small amount of mgcl to the part c to save on a doser?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just another quick question. You mention to me in another post that I may need to still dose some mag. If I work out my consumption can I add a small amount of mgcl to the part c to save on a doser?

Yes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back