I need to understand part C of balling!

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been in discussions with people about this, and I feel like I need to better understand the issue.

So below summarises my understanding of the issue, based on what I've read and heard from the likes of @Lou Ekus . I could be wrong!

In the figure below, I am hypothetically dosing a 2-part solution that adds additional sodium chloride (blue) to the tank, which is an unavoidable byproduct of using sodium-based carbonates and calcium chloride additives.

Over time, the sodium chloride builds up and increases salinity, but my other major and minor trace elements are (initially) at the right levels (red line). When I dilute my tank to bring the salinity down, I reduce the sodium chloride levels, but inadvertently, I'm also diluting the other elements in the tank. Over a long enough time period, this results in depleted levels of major and trace elements, even though the sodium chloride level is staying stable.

This is the current issue I am experiencing, due to the fact I dose a fair amount of 2-part on a relatively small amount of water (due to high coral biomass). About once a month, even with water changes, I need to make a correction to my salinity, and it is unavoidable that this will lower other elements.

salinity_creep.jpg

With a part C, which is sodium chloride free saltwater, additional major and minor trace elements are added, so they build up in higher concentrations, in the same ratio as the sodium chloride. When the water is then diluted to bring salinity down, everything is diluted back down to the optimal level.

salinity_creep_balling.jpg

(1) Firstly, is this understanding correct? So for example, additional calcium is being added over time, and without dilution it would actually be overdosed, in the same was sodium chloride is effectively being over dosed?

(2) Secondly, why doesn't a 2-part that contains additional traces solve this issue? My understanding is that the traces are not being overdosed, but rather "matched" to alkalinity consumption.

I'd really like to nail my comprehension of this issue down, so thanks in advance for any input!

OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple long threads on this already but Following for the abridged Cliff note version
I'm sure there are, but I needed to put it in my own words so that someone can see where I am either correct or getting it wrong haha.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The understanding is exactly correct.

The sentences in #1 after the first one are not making sense to me. There’s no special overdosing issues.

Yes, a two part like ESV puts the ingredients in Balling Part C into one or the other of the two parts, and solves the problem without a third part.

OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The sentences in #1 after the first one are not making sense to me. There’s no special overdosing issues.

Yes, a two part like ESV puts the ingredients in Balling Part C into one or the other of the two parts, and solves the problem without a third part.
Okay, thanks!

So I think that's where my understanding is maybe wrong. From listening to TM on podcasts (for example) I got the impression that part C was literally overdosing on everything else (except NaCl) so that when one dilutes the tank, the ratios of elements stays the same. Surely then that means if you didn't dilute, other elements such as calcium would raise to higher levels, the same as NaCl?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks!

So I think that's where my understanding is maybe wrong. From listening to TM on podcasts (for example) I got the impression that part C was literally overdosing on everything else (except NaCl) so that when one dilutes the tank, the ratios of elements stays the same. Surely then that means if you didn't dilute, other elements such as calcium would raise to higher levels, the same as NaCl?

Balling Part C doesn’t cause overdosing of calcium or alk as those also get depleted by the salinity adjustment. It’s an offsetting effect for everything except sodium and chloride.

If you didn’t use it, you would just end up needed a tiny bit more of alk and calcium to offset the loses of those from the salinity correction. That extra need is just a small part of the total demand and you’ll never detect it.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With all due respect, while I am not an ESV company person, so I do not know the full chemical formulas of all of their products, I believe that if you look at the components of the product, you will see that the ESV two part adds “some” of the necessary components of the Balling Part C, not “all” of the components. This may seem like a small distinction, but it is an important one!

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks!

The explanations here are mostly correct. But there still seems to be some small misunderstandings of exactly how this Balling PArt C works and what it does. I encourage you to give me a call in the office. I thin k it would be very helpful if we could chat about this directly over the phone. That way I can explain in more detail and make sure the explanation is fully understandable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back