Adding "trace minerals" if not doing enough water changes?

Ryan9212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know doing water changes is beneficial but I have been carbon dosing for a long time and recently added some soft corals. When it was fish only I was able to keep nitrates/phosphates under control without water changes although I still did them just not as often.

Now that I have soft corals and plan to add more including LPS I was wondering if adding a bit of those "trace mineral" supplements every now and then would be of benefit, not being able to test is the issue. Ca, Mg, and alk is easy to test for and supplement I am just wondering about anything else that would be replenished with frequent water changes like iodine in particular or others?

I am not mentioning this because I do not want to perform water changes because I can definitely increase the water changes without an issue, I am just wondering if there are other options to keep everything as healthy as possible and as safely as possible? Since what I have been doing has worked great with fish only and now I am adding coral.

Thanks!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can dose one of many trace element supplements.

I’ve been dosing tropic marin elements A and K, can’t say if any additional impact on corals but with a very few expected exceptions my 2 Triton tests came back perfect. I don’t do water changes that much either.

Back