Do I need to and how to dose kalk?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon mixed reef with mostly soft and lps corals, but 2 montiporas as well. I rely on weekly 33% water changes to keep parameters stable and replace calcium and alk, but I am wondering if that is not stable enough for something like acros if I add later down the road? Should I start dosing kalkwasser and if so what’s the best way to do so (cheap but effective)

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, dosing is going to be far cheaper than maintaining alkalinity by water changes, unless you do the water changes anyway.
Yes the water changes are done anyway, it’s my method that I found works better than anything else. I change 10 gallons every Tuesday anyway, am just wondering if I need to dose between those? As of now I don’t track the dip I just trust the water changes

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the water changes are done anyway, it’s my method that I found works better than anything else. I change 10 gallons every Tuesday anyway, am just wondering if I need to dose between those? As of now I don’t track the dip I just trust the water changes

Only way to know is to measure alk before and after a change.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back