Started Dosing All for Reef Need Help

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started dosing all for reef and all my parameters seem in check other than calcium.

ALK: 9
PH:8.1
Mag: 1400
Cal: 380
Nitrate:8
Phos:0.04

I have a 20 gal tank and have been dosing 4ml daily for the past week.
My frogspawn has been hurting since the calcium has been dropping but I wanted to see if it would balance out or not or what I should do. I dosed straight calcium last night to raise it back to my normal 430ppm.
The frogspawn was losing tips rapidly so I had was forced to take action. Everything else seemed fine.

Do I dose more AFR to raise the calcium and let the other parameters increase simultaneously?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my opinion ( one sample) BUT, IMHO AFR is a lil tricky to get adjusted at first (again, MY sample)
…also, like you it “ seems” always one of the big three seems to always be off …. (mg, ca or alk)
…anyway, following as I’ve had the same issue w/o a answer

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot use AFR (or any balanced alk and calcium additive) to boost calcium substantially because alk will get too high.

If you want to boost calcium, some some type of calcium chloride. There are many brands, hobby and DIY.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot use AFR (or any balanced alk and calcium additive) to boost calcium substantially because alk will get too high.

If you want to boost calcium, some some type of calcium chloride. There are many brands, hobby and DIY.
So just dosing additional calcium along with the AFR is what I should be doing then? Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just dosing additional calcium along with the AFR is what I should be doing then? Thanks!

Yes. A one time correction over a couple of days will be sufficient.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would seachem Reef Calcium be okay? If not what is a good alternative.

No. You picked about the only product that is unsuitable. Look for calcium chloride.

The Seachem calcium polygluconate adds both calcium and alkalinity. It's another Seachem misunderstanding of their own products.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what should I dose that only has Calcium?

As I mentioned, calcium chloride.

Aside from Seachem, you could use almost any hobby brand of calcium only supplement, or a DIY using calcium chloride.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple notes.
1. Hobby kit Calcium measurements are often inaccurate. +/- 10%.
2. Some salt mixes run at 380ish.
3. I rarely find Cal to be the cause of any tank issues, as it is still plentiful even when running "low". 380 isnt low. Actually closer to natural seawater.
4. With a small tank, several large (5 gal) water changes are an easy way to fix things.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned, calcium chloride.

Aside from Seachem, you could use almost any hobby brand of calcium only supplement, or a DIY using calcium chloride.
Would this be sufficient? Also I'm guessing this is one I would have to dissolve in water before dosing the tank. Correct?

1712323784186.png

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple notes.
1. Hobby kit Calcium measurements are often inaccurate. +/- 10%.
2. Some salt mixes run at 380ish.
3. I rarely find Cal to be the cause of any tank issues, as it is still plentiful even when running "low". 380 isnt low. Actually closer to natural seawater.
4. With a small tank, several large (5 gal) water changes are an easy way to fix things.
Yeah, I tested everything I could and that was the only large swing I saw that may have POed my frogspawn.
I will be doing a water change today or tomorrow try to do 25% every 7-10 days.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started using afr I got my paramters to where I wanted them using 2 part. Then just track alk every couple days and adjust dosing if needed. My calcium hasnt dropped below 420 and that was probably testing error because the next test a week later was right back to around 480. I do water changes weekly so that may have an effect on my parameters also.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I tested everything I could and that was the only large swing I saw that may have POed my frogspawn.
I will be doing a water change today or tomorrow try to do 25% every 7-10 days.
Roughly for each 1dkh of alk your tank consumes, only 7ppm of calcium is taken up. So for an actual drop of 50ppm as you indicated, you would of had to consume 7dkh of Alk WITHOUT compensating for calcium. (Tanks consume 0.5dKH to 4.5dKH per day depending on calcification rates of your inhabitents and abiotic precipitation.) SInce you are using a balanced Alk/Cal product it's super unlikely to see a drop in Cal without the same drop in Alk. What I'm suggesting is that Cal is unlikely to be an issue in your tank and that something else is going on. Typically with coral, the incident that caused the issue hapened about a week or two prior to seeing the issue. Did you change up anything other than using AFR? Add a powerhead?

Best fix for a small tank is large water changes and running carbon.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly for each 1dkh of alk your tank consumes, only 7ppm of calcium is taken up. So for an actual drop of 50ppm as you indicated, you would of had to consume 7dkh of Alk WITHOUT compensating for calcium. (Tanks consume 0.5dKH to 4.5dKH per day depending on calcification rates of your inhabitents and abiotic precipitation.) SInce you are using a balanced Alk/Cal product it's super unlikely to see a drop in Cal without the same drop in Alk. What I'm suggesting is that Cal is unlikely to be an issue in your tank and that something else is going on. Typically with coral, the incident that caused the issue hapened about a week or two prior to seeing the issue. Did you change up anything other than using AFR? Add a powerhead?

Best fix for a small tank is large water changes and running carbon.
Upgraded to a Kessil A360x about a week before but corals were fine during that week. and params seemed stable. May be that I guess but what could I do with the low calcium other than dosing it?
Also I do run carbon.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded to a Kessil A360x about a week before but corals were fine during that week. and params seemed stable. May be that I guess but what could I do with the low calcium other than dosing it?
Also I do run carbon.
380 isn't low. Check your salt mix. I typically use quarterly ICP testing to assess Cal. With balanced dosing Cal usually creeps up and requires some adjustment every 9 months or so.

I'd be guessing the upgraded light caused the issue as corals typically show issues a week or two after the actual casue.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
380 isn't low. Check your salt mix. I typically use quarterly ICP testing to assess Cal. With balanced dosing Cal usually creeps up and requires some adjustment every 9 months or so.

I'd be guessing the upgraded light caused the issue as corals typically show issues a week or two after the actual casue.
These are the specs for the salt which I do run at 1.026
1712329597084.png

Not sure what I can do for the light I put it on acclimation mode so it is slowly creeping up for 20 day to the settings I put in. I don't have a PAR meter though so I'm not sure what the difference is with the actual numbers.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kessils for my tanks and the A360x is super powerful. You can't use your eyes to assess par. You may have too much par or raised it too quickly for the coral.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back