Does kalk powder lose potency if exposed to air in the container?

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw a video by ACI Aquaculture claiming any air in a kalkwasser powder container causes it to lose potency. Do I need to be concerned that my powder comes in a rigid plastic container and as it empties it leaves more and more space for air? This seems questionable but they have apparently measured a decreased pH of kalk solution when mixed with powder from partially full containers.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Probably a good question for Randy holmes Farley, but I’d imagine humidity would make it clump which you wouldn’t want

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good question for Randy holmes Farley, but I’d imagine humidity would make it clump which you wouldn’t want
No clumping in mine but they claimed merely allowing air in the container of powder caused the pH of their kalk mix to decrease several tenths. Now I'm questioning if I should keep it in a collapsible ziplock bag. Seems like a great way to end up inhaling kalkwasser lol!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual air in a sealed container will hav no noticeable effect on the potency. There’s just not enough CO2 in it to matter detectably.

But if air is constantly leaking in, or if it is just plain open, that will deplete it.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual air in a sealed container will hav no noticeable effect on the potency. There’s just not enough CO2 in it to matter detectably.

But if air is constantly leaking in, or if it is just plain open, that will deplete it.
That makes sense to me but I believe it was Chris Meckley from ACI that felt otherwise.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While reading this, I was considering in my mind using a food vacuum sealer to just portion it out (all in a controlled environment with respirator mind you), and then I considered "What if the cops come?" lol...

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While reading this, I was considering in my mind using a food vacuum sealer to just portion it out (all in a controlled environment with respirator mind you), and then I considered "What if the cops come?" lol...
Walter White would be proud of you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense to me but I believe it was Chris Meckley from ACI that felt otherwise.

I calculated and posted how much CO2 is inside a bucket and how much calcium hydroxide that might possibly deplete.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From it:

Just keep in mind that the gas that enters cannot really deplete much each time, even if every bit of the CO2 present reacted.

1 liter of air contains only 0.0006 grams of CO2, which can only deplete a roughly similar amount of calcium hydroxide. Adding 1 L of air every day and it all reacting would only consume 0.2 grams in a year.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From it:

Just keep in mind that the gas that enters cannot really deplete much each time, even if every bit of the CO2 present reacted.

1 liter of air contains only 0.0006 grams of CO2, which can only deplete a roughly similar amount of calcium hydroxide. Adding 1 L of air every day and it all reacting would only consume 0.2 grams in a year.
Perhaps Chris owes an apology to the employee he "fired" from the job of mixing his kalk powder for letting air in the container lol!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back