Swapping from CarboCalcium to Kalk

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering swapping from Tropic Marin's Carbocalcium to kalkwasser. I read in my searches for similar threads, that All For Reef is 25x more potent than kalk. I'm assuming that carbocal is the same potency as AFR. If I'm dosing 41.5ml of carbocalcium, that would equal about 1,037ml/4 cups of kalk solution per day. That seems like a lot of work refilling the dosing containers, but I'm looking for that boost in pH. I guess I'd be refilling the ATO less if I'm adding all that kalk solution. I could also consider dosing both carbocal and kalk.

I'm just running this past you guys, seeing if anyone has any input or feedback. TIA!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering swapping from Tropic Marin's Carbocalcium to kalkwasser. I read in my searches for similar threads, that All For Reef is 25x more potent than kalk. I'm assuming that carbocal is the same potency as AFR. If I'm dosing 41.5ml of carbocalcium, that would equal about 1,037ml/4 cups of kalk solution per day. That seems like a lot of work refilling the dosing containers, but I'm looking for that boost in pH. I guess I'd be refilling the ATO less if I'm adding all that kalk solution. I could also consider dosing both carbocal and kalk.

I'm just running this past you guys, seeing if anyone has any input or feedback. TIA!
You may want to research the “low pH“ subject. High CO2 tends to be the cause of lower pH.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the rationale for switching? Perhaps we can suggest alternatives.

That said, I mixed up 100+ gallons of kalkwasser once a month or two, taking about 15 minutes, so it was no big deal for me.

OP
OP
.Haliax.

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the rationale for switching? Perhaps we can suggest alternatives.

That said, I mixed up 100+ gallons of kalkwasser once a month or two, taking about 15 minutes, so it was no big deal for me.
Mainly for pH… We have 2 adults, 3 kids, and a dog in the house. I have an airline ran outside, but with the warmer weather comes the mosquito fogger that rides through the neighborhood weekly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly for pH… We have 2 adults, 3 kids, and a dog in the house. I have an airline ran outside, but with the warmer weather comes the mosquito fogger that rides through the neighborhood weekly.

You can make up a two part with the same pH boost per unit of alk added, but with far higher potency/

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? How so?
Right here...

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% would recommend a switch to kalk in any situation for more than just ph. I've tried multiple types of dosing (all for reef, reef elixir, 2-part). For some weird reason kalkwasser just seems to make everything happier. I get much more polyp extension on corals while dosing it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% would recommend a switch to kalk in any situation for more than just ph. I've tried multiple types of dosing (all for reef, reef elixir, 2-part). For some weird reason kalkwasser just seems to make everything happier. I get much more polyp extension on corals while dosing it.

While I certainly do not disagree that limewater (kalkwasser) is a good choice (I used only it for 20 years), how do you know the other benefits you see are not from the pH?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back