Additives???

jcole9379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’ve been in the hobby for some years now but mostly kept softies and some zoas as far as coral goes because of the types of fish that I kept. I’ve moved to the point of getting some lps and encrusting corals and was curious of what type of additives I should use to help the corals? I already have reef roids and a couple other things...just need other opinions based off of experience that could help me to have the most success with lps

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you want to test alk (by far the most important) and calcium, with the goal of keeping the levels near your salt mix. Alk drains the fastest and does best when dosed regularly to keep it steady. Magnesium is a distant third and usually can be kept up with water changes. Alk is the easiest and quickest test in the hobby, and the ony I recommend be tested more than anything in a tank with stony corals.

Many alk and calcium supplements form the same brand can be dosed evenly. This is commonly known as 2-part. Sop if you need to dose 20ml of alk, you woulld dose 20ml of the same brand/product line calcium.

A lot of lps can eat what you feed your fish, and some prefer smaller pieces of fopod or dissolved food (like aminos, reef energy, and fuel).

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back