Addressing Dino Recurrence: Seeking Advice

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

A few weeks or months ago, I successfully tackled a Dino problem caused by zero phosphates using a Hanna checker and dosing. Unfortunately, they've returned swiftly. My nitrate remains high, and phosphates are at 0.1.

Currently, the only change is the absence of carbon, as it's sold out, and I'm awaiting restocking. All my zoas are closing, and other corals seem unhappy. Raising nutrients is not feasible anymore. Should I consider a blackout?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blackout would offer temporary relief. It doesn't actually kill it, it just goes free-swimming, so it can appear to clear it up - and then the dino comes right back. It will take a long blackout to actually kill it.

But you didn't get dinos because you had 0 phosphates. You got dino because you had dino - those are just the conditions where dino does best. You won't get rid of it by raising phosphates unless the other things that can out compete it are present to out compete it.

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blackout would offer temporary relief. It doesn't actually kill it, it just goes free-swimming, so it can appear to clear it up - and then the dino comes right back. It will take a long blackout to actually kill it.

But you didn't get dinos because you had 0 phosphates. You got dino because you had dino - those are just the conditions where dino does best. You won't get rid of it by raising phosphates unless the other things that can out compete it are present to out compete it.
The only thing I know is that after raising my Phosphate level and adding copepods, a few days later the dino's were gone...

I have done some research under the microscope and I found out that I have ostreopsis dinos. This means a UV steriliser should be able to fix my issues. As I have a 15 gal AIO, this gives me 2 options and I'm not sure which one is the best.

For 70 euro's I can get this Aqua Medic Helix Max 2.0 5W. For this to work I would have to redirect my tube from my return pump to the UV, then from the UV back to the nozzle. That would mean the UV would hang on the outside back of the tank.

25744-home_default.webp.fceae5bdd360d70842c86a4068116c22.webp

For 20 euro's I can get this Cherlam Internal 9W. This would be put in my return chamber next to the return pump. There are however a lot of mixed experiences with this option (not working or melting the silicone).

cherlam-interne-uv-sterilizer-met-timer-SJD-50.jpg.9d3a5990e48b920bf1b498e4b106098b.jpg

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I successfully beat ostreopsis dinos by adding UV, raising my temps to 81.5°F, and doing a couple of back to back blackouts. I also have an all in one (50 gallons). My UV hung on the side of the tank and was fed by my main return pump.

I have also been regularly dosing Microbacter 7 but I’m not sure if that had any effect or not.

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I successfully beat ostreopsis dinos by adding UV, raising my temps to 81.5°F, and doing a couple of back to back blackouts. I also have an all in one (50 gallons). My UV hung on the side of the tank and was fed by my main return pump.

I have also been regularly dosing Microbacter 7 but I’m not sure if that had any effect or not.
Alright thanks man! I will go for the hang on UV then.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I know is that after raising my Phosphate level and adding copepods, a few days later the dino's were gone...
A) Copepods ate the Dino.
B) Higher phosphates allowed less-ugly things to colonize the surfaces Dino had dominated before.
I have done some research under the microscope and I found out that I have ostreopsis dinos. This means a UV steriliser should be able to fix my issues.
That's good. UV + Blackout is even more powerful as the UV can't do anything about dino that's still on the rocks.
Aqua Medic Helix Max 2.0 5W
Pretty sure all of the 'helix' ones are a scam. I run an oversized aqua violet one but it is way overkill for 15 gallons. But I'm not convinced any of the off-brands are effective at all. There's a risk with the small aquarium-only brands that AV doesn't have since their primary customer is pool owners.

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods ate the Dino.
Would it be smart to also add copepods again?

That's good. UV + Blackout is even more powerful as the UV can't do anything about dino that's still on the rocks.
I can also do a blackout at the same time!

Pretty sure all of the 'helix' ones are a scam. I run an oversized aqua violet one but it is way overkill for 15 gallons. But I'm not convinced any of the off-brands are effective at all. There's a risk with the small aquarium-only brands that AV doesn't have since their primary customer is pool owners.
Alright. They sell the aqua violet ones in the Netherlands but the smallest they have is 18W. Is that going to be a problem? There sadly isn't that much choice in the Netherlands so I can choose between the Helix, Jabao or aqua violet... All the other ones are like 150-200 euros for 10W...

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know aqua violet sells an 8W version and even that is overkill for 15 gallons; just a matter of finding it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back