What other bacteria should be dosed with MB7 for dinos? Can u get dinos from new frags?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am getting dinos again! I killed it before with Vibrant and mb7! It took a long time and got worse before better but after ading UV sterilizer it got up and left witin a few weeks at most!

I have since read bad things about Vibrant and I know of no online retailers that even sell it anymore but amazon does. Brs told me there is no bacteria in it and its nothing but fluconazole.

I dont care to support Dr Tim because Its insanely expensive with the amounts he wants you to dose! IT something like 2 caps per 10 gallons when MB7 is 1/2 cap per 20 gallons!

I know he uses refresh and waste away. I believe MB7 is the same as waste away but dont know what to use as a alternative to refresh. Thinking perhaps MB razor? Both razor and refresh are supposed to disolve organics. Keep tank walls clean ect.

I am also perplexed as the what caused it! Does anyone know if it can come in on frags?

I checked po4 in one tank and it was at 0 , havnt checked nitrates yet but pretty positive it cant be zero unless the mb7 really lowered it but I also dosed prime a few times because I had a missing dead fish.

The tanks with the dinos tested at 0.49 po4 which totally made no sense because 2 weeks ago it was at 0.02 and just replaced gfo a few weeks ago. I then retested it and next reading was 0.90! what the heck! Can po4 rise at night? I tested my tank that dosnt have dinos in the day and it tested at 0 then after I got the crazy reading from the dino tank I retested it and it was 0.49 and about 3 hours after I got a zero.

Difference was I tested at night (8pm) but held hanna checker up to light on the ceiling but I am 5 ft 2 and celing is 10 ft so pretty far away from light but figured it was about the same as testing during daylight. Wierd thing is the water in the rest vial turned blue when I got the high readings and earlier in the day when it was zero it was clear! So If it was a misreading because it was night I dont get how that could actually change the color of test water! I repeated again and same thing!

Sorry so long but wanted to explain it all! Hope it makes sense lol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB7 is not the same as waste away as far as I can tell. Razor would be the equivalent. There isn't any real evidence that bacterial products help against dinos. The only real correlate seen across a lot Dino posts is 0.00 phosphate. Other than that it's just guessing. Those bacteria blends, if they lower phosphate, may actually make it worse

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dinos (many times) and my phosphates weren’t near 0. Nothing is ever 100%. Or rarely.

Thanks for pointing my error oout. I edited it to say the only common correlate across dino threads and cases. Meant not to say 100%. I have dinos in a tank rn and the only difference is the sand is new (which I believe to be related since all the microfauna has to be reseeded from the rocks.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dinoflagellates can't be viably kept out of a reef tank- they come in on just about everything, and are harmless enough in small amounts. The way to deal with them is to have enough biodiversity that they never take over and multiply to harmful levels. Low nutrients are a common cause of dino outbreaks, as it hinders the ability of everything else to outcompete them.

Are you certain you have dinos? If so, you may consider buying a small package of live rock from KP Aquatics or Tampa Bay, as that's an excellent source of biodiversity.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dinos (many times) and my phosphates weren’t near 0. Nothing is ever 100%. Or rarely.
i know this is old, but the experts in the field say its a bell shaped curve. 98% of the dino cases are caused by 0 phosphate/nitrate. the others get it by having an imbalance in phosp nitrate levels or by trace element deficiencies. but thats like 2% of the cases. basically, imbalances.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back