Adjustable Pipette Recommendation?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have recommendations on an adjustable pipette to purchase? Amazon reviews are all over the place on which ones are accurate or not. I was looking at something like this but don't mind spending more if there's a significant difference in quality.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have recommendations on an adjustable pipette to purchase? Amazon reviews are all over the place on which ones are accurate or not. I was looking at something like this but don't mind spending more if there's a significant difference in quality.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I like the FOUR E's SCIENTIFIC...and the SCILOGEX ...They both do a good job...hold there calibration well and are easy to use..Just a note...It is good practice to check the calibration monthly...they do need adjusted from time to time...Hope this helps

Rick

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like the Eppendorf pipettes; partly because I use them at work and are familiar with them. But another reason is that I can get them inexpensively as used equipment from a local scientific calibration business. Many of the giant biopharmaceutical firms in the area will toss a perfectly good pipette after a certain period of time, which means that the calibration firm has a lot of them for sale for about 1/3rd the price of new.

One relevant question is what your purpose for the pipette is and what volume range you need. If the point is easy measurement of reagents for water tests, then yes, you probably do want to learn how to dissemble and clean these instruments, and how to calibrate them occasionally. If it's just convenient dispensing of suspended coral food, then calibration is unnecessary.

Calibration is going to require an accurate analytical balance. One that will weigh in grams to 2 decimal places is good enough to calibrate a 1000 ul pipette. If you're using the 100 ul or 20 ul versions, you'll need an analytical balance that has resolution down to the tenth of a milligram.

OP
OP
Silver14SS

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the suggestions! Dkeller - correct that the purpose is reagent measurement :)

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the suggestions! Dkeller - correct that the purpose is reagent measurement :)

I use this Scale for Calibration...Accuracy is good and it is relatively low cost...

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pipettes are fine

Bad reviews are coming from people who don’t understand how to properly use the ‘2 step plunger’ or who abuse it and don’t recalibrate

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back