Adjusting Salinity Levels

WhatCouldGoWrong71

TheDryReef
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2023
Messages
3,751
Reaction score
2,772
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey all - I had to adjust my salinity and I went a little too far. I’m sitting at 1.0265/35.2 and if I wanted to get it to 1.0257/34.3ish. I’m probably splitting hairs but…

I’m sitting at 550g system volume. I do AWC so I can adjust what I pull out to be greater then what salt water I put back in, thus my ATO would fill in the delta. Can someone help me with a formula to determine how much rodi I would need to add to bring my value down? My thoughts are I would take that value and create a delta in my AWC schedule over a couple days then restore my AWC’s 10% standard schedule.
 
I have about 340g total water volume in mine. If it was me, not saying you should, but I would take 2 gallons water out, let the ATO top it off, check salinity, repeat every 12 hours till you get the level you want.

I adjust my salinity like this occasionally, a gallon at a time on my system.

With that large of water volume you won't "shock" the inhabitants IMO.
 
Hey all - I had to adjust my salinity and I went a little too far. I’m sitting at 1.0265/35.2 and if I wanted to get it to 1.0257/34.3ish. I’m probably splitting hairs but…

I’m sitting at 550g system volume. I do AWC so I can adjust what I pull out to be greater then what salt water I put back in, thus my ATO would fill in the delta. Can someone help me with a formula to determine how much rodi I would need to add to bring my value down? My thoughts are I would take that value and create a delta in my AWC schedule over a couple days then restore my AWC’s 10% standard schedule.
If you put no salt in the AWC water, then allowing it to change 16.6 gallons, sg will drop from 1.0265 to 1.0257.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new