Adjusting skimmer

Furred Feathered & Finned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a newbie, I was afraid to spend a ton of money on my tank at first. I have a 55 gallon that's tempered glass so I can't drill it. I ended up using a HOB carbon filter and purchased a HOB octopus skimmer rated for 100 gallons. I have the skimmer set in the "open" position. It seems to work pretty well, but I don't understand open vs closed and wet vs dry skimmate, as far as what is desirable. Can anyone explain and maybe give me suggestions on filtration? As long as I don't put a ton of pellet food in, I don't get algae, and I've never had a nitrate or measurable phosphate spike.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more you close it the higher the water level will be in the Skimmer. Which hob Skimmer do you have? If it’s the Reef Octopus Classic 90 I can help more as I run one on frag tank.

Wet vs dry skim: Wet skimming is very dark almost tar colored as it’s just from the protein bubbles produced from the Skimmer, Wet skimming will be a lighter color as there is more water/liquid wing pushed up with the protein bubbles.

The higher water level you run generally the wetter the skim. They are the most efficient when you find that happy medium.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a newbie, I was afraid to spend a ton of money on my tank at first. I have a 55 gallon that's tempered glass so I can't drill it. I ended up using a HOB carbon filter and purchased a HOB octopus skimmer rated for 100 gallons. I have the skimmer set in the "open" position. It seems to work pretty well, but I don't understand open vs closed and wet vs dry skimmate, as far as what is desirable. Can anyone explain and maybe give me suggestions on filtration? As long as I don't put a ton of pellet food in, I don't get algae, and I've never had a nitrate or measurable phosphate spike.

"Wet" skim is as it says, more wet and usually the foam head has larger bubbles. Water/bubble line is higher in the skimmer body.

Dry skim is dryer with usually smaller bubbles at the top. Water line is usually lower in the body of the skimmer.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back