Adjusting Vertex Omega 150 skimmer

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

I recently went from an all in one tank to a tank with a sump. I’ve had this skimmer running for a couple of weeks now. Does it seem like it’s running how it’s supposed to or should I make some adjustments? This is my first time using a skimmer like this one. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
0b7182f12b6bc358cae913cc83a5c5f1.jpg
acc533b36c60080f962b2156eab2d620.jpg
e67f49238e53fcdafa61c71a849f9d43.jpg

Tbyram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you need to adjust the pipe to limit the water flow out. When first installed it says to open it wide open but once broken in you can slowly close it some until the water level rises. This is of course assuming you have it at a good water level to begin with. I run mine at about 7.5" and then adjust the water flow pipe to where the bubbles show right around the bottom of the cup base .

Here are a few pics of mine. The pipe I'm talking about is the one on left side and note my water is just above the outlet (8" deep in sump but propped up on small stand to get at 7.0-7.5". Also note the bubbles are just around bottom of cup in main tube or a little higher.

IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1140.JPG

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you need to adjust the pipe to limit the water flow out. When first installed it says to open it wide open but once broken in you can slowly close it some until the water level rises. This is of course assuming you have it at a good water level to begin with. I run mine at about 7.5" and then adjust the water flow pipe to where the bubbles show right around the bottom of the cup base .

Here are a few pics of mine. The pipe I'm talking about is the one on left side and note my water is just above the outlet (8" deep in sump but propped up on small stand to get at 7.0-7.5". Also note the bubbles are just around bottom of cup in main tube or a little higher.

IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1140.JPG

Ok I’ll try closing the pipe more. My water level is at 8” and the pipe at the moment is a little over half way closed.

Tbyram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just move it a little at a time and give it about 10 min or so at least between tweaks. It sometimes takes a bit for it to settle out. Too much will make it overflow.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your adjustment is pretty close. Small adjustments and I’d run it a full day because feeding and other factors will cause periods of time where it will skim more.

Just for reference I have the water level about even with where the red tube enters the white tube. And the foam height is set just into the straight part of the neck.

3E1D9249-6E78-4678-B513-1895A36D98CA.jpeg

Turbonut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with mine I have my water height @ about 8.5 inches. Now when I first got this thing it was a pain in the butt to dial in I could only get light tea colored skimmate and on occasion it would overflow which seems to be the normal on this skimmer from what I’ve read however I did one mod to mine that made a heck of a difference , all I did was add a 3/8 valve to the end of my air line to limit the air coming into skimmer and let me tell you it’s like a whole different skimmer. Now I can pull as dry as foam as I want , doesn’t overflow or anything. Also just my .02 the adjustable volute doesn’t do a darn thing imho.
d9b0f86db3e9a83a1397b0d1c8859848.jpg

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with mine I have my water height @ about 8.5 inches. Now when I first got this thing it was a pain in the butt to dial in I could only get light tea colored skimmate and on occasion it would overflow which seems to be the normal on this skimmer from what I’ve read however I did one mod to mine that made a heck of a difference , all I did was add a 3/8 valve to the end of my air line to limit the air coming into skimmer and let me tell you it’s like a whole different skimmer. Now I can pull as dry as foam as I want , doesn’t overflow or anything. Also just my .02 the adjustable volute doesn’t do a darn thing imho.

Do you have the link of the valve you used?

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s been a while but I finally bought the valve. I just have one question the venturi nozzle do you have it all the way Closed or open?

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far do you close the air intake using the valve? I have the mod done and I’m not sure if I should have the venturi screwed all the way in or screwed out?

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mod is great, got the thing to produce fine bubbles. How high should I raise the level of those fine bubbles to get that dark skimmate?

Turbonut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mod is great, got the thing to produce fine bubbles. How high should I raise the level of those fine bubbles to get that dark skimmate?

How deep is your skimmer sitting? Mines is in 8” and I have wedge pipe closed about a 1/4 which brings the fine bubbles right to the beginning of the cup

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is your skimmer sitting? Mines is in 8” and I have wedge pipe closed about a 1/4 which brings the fine bubbles right to the beginning of the cup

It’s in 8”’of water sitting on a 1” acrylic stand so 7.5” also have the Venturi mainly out and 1/2” air inlet ball valve closed. Got the tiny bubbles right at the bottom of the first lower ring of the collection cup.

Turbonut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in 8”’of water sitting on a 1” acrylic stand so 7.5” also have the Venturi mainly out and 1/2” air inlet ball valve closed. Got the tiny bubbles right at the bottom of the first lower ring of the collection cup.

Just give it time like a day at a time and adjust to to get the color skimmate your looking for.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back