Adult Blueface Angel, yellow tang, 1 clownfish pair fishes are not-eating and mostly hiding ... pls. help!

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi There, Pls. see attached video - I have an adult Blueface Angel (have had for 2 years), yellow tang (have had for 1 year), 1 clownfish pair fishes (had for 1 year) are not-eating and mostly hiding. One of the clown (Black) not eaten for 4 days and has lot of fins ripped. But no one is seen fighting (Hippo is tank boss ... but she only shows off on glass) ...

2 months back I had Cyano bloom that I treated with Chemiclean and then did a carbon absorbsion for 2 days.

I run 2 skimmers, 1 UV and use filter cups with filter pads that I change weekly. Tank has been setup for 3 years and no new fish in last 4 months.

Most fish has been in tank for 2+ years. Some fishes are eating Vigourously but above Blueface angle has not eaten for 1 month and Yellow tang slow for 1 month and not eaten for 5 days, ... my tank is 240G and sump 50G ... lots of stone ... so probably 200G water.

I put in General cure 15 pouch and 4 pouch Furan 2 .... thinking that will help and plan to change 50% water tomorrow.

Any suggestion on what could be wrong with my tank?

I have a 35G QT but do not want to use to put fishes as that kills the fishes even more .. my fear. Any the issue is in main Tank that can spread to more fishes ... any suggestions anyone on
1. What could be issues?
2. What treatment should I do?

Should I try KanaPlex for bacterial and fungal in Main Tank?

Amy bath/ dip anyone suggests?

Appreciate your time and help.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are breathing heavy.

The problem with antibiotics (if it were bacterial) in a display tank is it can be broken down by bacteria so the fish don't really get the treatment they need that way.

So the longest this been going on is a month? I would assume velvet would have done them in by then.

Any scratching or flashing?

Have you checked the tanks parameters?

I would probably try and treat for flukes. If nothing else, prazipro works quickly and only needs 24 hours to work. Downside is it can deplete oxygen so that is a risk. Sometimes heavily infested fish will perish from treatment.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up with what @Tamberav says - the blueface has some discoloration on its face that could be a sign of flukes. The black clown has swollen gills, fin damage and is breathing hard. The yellow tang is pale and breathing hard.

First thing to try is to add some good aeration to the main tank. If this is a dissolved gas issue, that will help, and adding aeration whenever fish are breathing hard is always a good idea.

The General Cure has praziquantel in it. Is the dose you added considered a full dose in terms of what the label says? If so, you should see some relief in a couple of days if it is flukes, but you will need to redose with Prazipro after 7 days or so (or use the GC again, I'm just worried that the metronidazole in the GC may cause your tank other issues).

I would not add antibiotics to your main tank, and especially because I don't see any certain signs of a bacterial infection here.

Jay

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks Jay and Tamberav. Truly appreciate the efforts.

I had done 2 rounds of fluke with Prazipro 2 weeks back but that did not have any benefot to Blueface ...

You noted right about all fishes Jay. The general cure i added is at 70% doze, not full doze. I am getting 20 pouch tomorrow and can redoze.

The situation has been going on for 4+ weeks ... no flashing and no ich and no velvet.

Water param: Nitrate 25, alkalinity is 6.1, Calcium is at 440, Phospohate on hanna low range went out of range ... so I am putting GFO tomorrow morning after 50% water change.

It could be some tough parasite .. resilient to drug .... or fluke.

Any recommendations for medication for fluke or parasite in my tank?

Amit.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay and Tamberav. Truly appreciate the efforts.

I had done 2 rounds of fluke with Prazipro 2 weeks back but that did not have any benefot to Blueface ...

You noted right about all fishes Jay. The general cure i added is at 70% doze, not full doze. I am getting 20 pouch tomorrow and can redoze.

The situation has been going on for 4+ weeks ... no flashing and no ich and no velvet.

Water param: Nitrate 25, alkalinity is 6.1, Calcium is at 440, Phospohate on hanna low range went out of range ... so I am putting GFO tomorrow morning after 50% water change.

It could be some tough parasite .. resilient to drug .... or fluke.

Any recommendations for medication for fluke or parasite in my tank?

Amit.
Other than trying a full dose of prazi, another fluke treatment is hyposalinity, but that cannot be used with invertebrates present.
Jay

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
would full doze of "General Cure" be an equally good option as prazipro?

How can I check if Prazi pro I have is potent or not or if my tank's fluke's are resistant to prazi?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would full doze of "General Cure" be an equally good option as prazipro?

How can I check if Prazi pro I have is potent or not or if my tank's fluke's are resistant to prazi?
Yes, the dose of Prazi in General Cure is sufficient to serve as a prazi treatment - but I was concerned about the metronidazole that it also contains - about any side effects from that.

Prazi resistant flukes are pretty rare, I've never seen them myself. What does happen is two things: the redose schedule does not catch all of the eggs as they hatch out, and the disease continues. Prazi does not kill fluke eggs. Timing is critical, and often takes three to four treatments. I dose 7 to 10 days apart to try to kill the hatching eggs before those flukes can mature and lay new eggs. The second issue is tough to identify: each time you dose prazi, bacterial starts to grow that consume it as a food source. These bacteria get really good at eating prazi as fast as you add it. Then, the bacteria can lay dormant until months later, if you dose with prazi again, it is pretty much rendered useless. For that reason, all of my old quarantine tanks couldn't be used for prazi treatments, so I went over to using hyposalinity.

Jay

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yes, the dose of Prazi in General Cure is sufficient to serve as a prazi treatment - but I was concerned about the metronidazole that it also contains - about any side effects from that.

Prazi resistant flukes are pretty rare, I've never seen them myself. What does happen is two things: the redose schedule does not catch all of the eggs as they hatch out, and the disease continues. Prazi does not kill fluke eggs. Timing is critical, and often takes three to four treatments. I dose 7 to 10 days apart to try to kill the hatching eggs before those flukes can mature and lay new eggs. The second issue is tough to identify: each time you dose prazi, bacterial starts to grow that consume it as a food source. These bacteria get really good at eating prazi as fast as you add it. Then, the bacteria can lay dormant until months later, if you dose with prazi again, it is pretty much rendered useless. For that reason, all of my old quarantine tanks couldn't be used for prazi treatments, so I went over to using hyposalinity.

Jay
I see, very interesting.

Does Prazipro go bad before the expiry date?

I have prazi pro (that does not contain Metro), I can doze a bit extra amount of prazipro (if Prazipro does not go bad before expiration date). I keep my meds at 76 degree, dark and dry ... and the med liquid has light pink color. Any thoughts whether i shud use my prazipro or general cure?

Headsup, I had done a doze of chemiclean to wipeoff cyano and they are gone but I have a lot of Algae. And a lot of airbubbles - wonder if they are diatoms what issues they cause?

Btw, what is the concern with Metro?

Will Nems be fine with Prazi? What about with Metro? What about with Kanaplex?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invertebrates are ok with prazipro as long as you aerate well. I don’t trust metro with inverts and the issue with kanaplex is the risk of impairing your beneficial bacteria.
I do know that Prazipro can expire and “go bad”, but I can’t tell you if that can happen prior to the company’s expiry date.
Jay

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Update
1. I changed 50% water
2. Up the alkalinity to 8.0
3. Put in fresh GFO reacter
4. Put in activated carbon to remove remaining General cure

Now the nems are much better but no chnage in the fishes ...

I should also mention, my Butterfly (which you can see in vdeo is super FAT) is healthy breathing, eating and swimming but always poops white stringy ... he poops burst of white stringy stuff and I may have seen the flagfin do yhe same today ... however these 2 are very voracious eater ...

My thought is to keep improving water quality and see if fishes improve in DT by weekend. If not then ocer weekend I woll move my tang and 2 clowns to QT and apply prazi there.

i will NOT use water from DT to not introduce Prazi eating bacteria or anything into QT .... and see .. if needed try kanaplex in QT. Hoping, I wont need above treatment (if the foshes start eating) ...

Btw, if the fishes improve in QT, would you recommend any action to fix the infection in DT?

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Update:
1. My Angle started eating (after 2 months and loosing his blue color almost all of it!) ... only eating PE Mysis
2. Yellow tang is eating too - little less and not swimming much but eating PE Mysis
3. My both clowns are eating and swimming fine
4. Rabitfish is not eating and staying in cave ... but fins erect and no spots or anything ...

I plan to not treat the fishes in DT ... just keep nitrate and phosphate low and focus on water chemistry and quality ..

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Another update:
All fishes had started eating but my Black clownfish is not eating again and I noticed he had stringy poop ... he may have internal parasite.

Can I mix prazipro liquid with food (and focus to bind and feed in DT?

Does food with Prazi help sufficiently .. any articles or threads that point to "medicated feeding in DT" for internal parasites?

also, when I am feeding medicated food, should i dump the food and medicine (that food was soaken in)both or just the food?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back