Fish flashing and not active

brianhama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was finally fully stocked and everything was great / everyone was active and happy for the past few weeks. Then a few days ago things started to change. I saw one fish flashing, then two, then three. The next day all the fish just seemed less active. Now they hardly move at all unless being fed. They are pretty much all flashing. I’ve checked the water params and they are perfect. I’ve been doing 20% water changes each day. Things seem to be getting worse. I don’t see anything physically wrong with the fish. No white specks. No fin rot. What’s the next step in diagnosing / treating the tank? Or is this a wait and observe situation still?

Tank: 120 gallon, with 40 gallon sump (filter sock, protein skimmer, lots of bio balls), and two canister filters, no coral, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, low nitrate

Inhabitants: 2 chromis, 1 dogface puffer, 1 copper banded butterfly, 4 clown fish, 1 squirrel fish, 1 lion fish, 1 snowflake eel, 1 blue tang, 1 gobby, 2 fire shrimp, 1 counch, 1 urchin

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank was finally fully stocked and everything was great / everyone was active and happy for the past few weeks. Then a few days ago things started to change. I saw one fish flashing, then two, then three. The next day all the fish just seemed less active. Now they hardly move at all unless being fed. They are pretty much all flashing. I’ve checked the water params and they are perfect. I’ve been doing 20% water changes each day. Things seem to be getting worse. I don’t see anything physically wrong with the fish. No white specks. No fin rot. What’s the next step in diagnosing / treating the tank? Or is this a wait and observe situation still?

Tank: 120 gallon, with 40 gallon sump (filter sock, protein skimmer, lots of bio balls), and two canister filters, no coral, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, low nitrate

Inhabitants: 2 chromis, 1 dogface puffer, 1 copper banded butterfly, 4 clown fish, 1 squirrel fish, 1 lion fish, 1 snowflake eel, 1 blue tang, 1 gobby, 2 fire shrimp, 1 counch, 1 urchin
Flashing often a sign of flukes. Are you able to post a video of about 30 seconds under white light intensity?
Other fluke signs will be heavy breathing , loss of appetite, yawning like effect, listlessness or darting suddenly across tank

OP
OP
brianhama

brianhama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like he has white specks, but I’m pretty sure it’s just sand from his flashing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does look like the white spots are sand, but I can't see for sure, it could be sand and ich mixed together.

I do see some fainter spots on its eye - those could be Neobenedenia flukes. If so, those can be tough to treat. If you can set up a small tank to house your few invertebrates, you can run hyposalinity in your main tank. Here is an article on how to do that:

Jay

OP
OP
brianhama

brianhama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the fish are actually much more active and are flashing less. Unfortunately, at the same time, I see a lot more spots.
IMG_3060.jpeg

OP
OP
brianhama

brianhama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like the white spots are sand, but I can't see for sure, it could be sand and ich mixed together.

I do see some fainter spots on its eye - those could be Neobenedenia flukes. If so, those can be tough to treat. If you can set up a small tank to house your few invertebrates, you can run hyposalinity in your main tank. Here is an article on how to do that:

Jay
Would the snowflake eel need to be removed with the inverts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the snowflake eel need to be removed with the inverts?
Yes - that’s ich on the puffer. If you treat with hypo that will clear ich as well as flukes.
Eels do NOT tolerate hypo, but can still carry ich and get flukes. I would leave it in the hypo tank, but it will likely stop eating.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hear and read the term " flashing " but don't know what it means please explain

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear and read the term " flashing " but don't know what it means please explain
Flashing is the same as "scratching". The fish will dash their head/body against things in the tank to try and rub parasites off. Sometimes, flashing is more subtle - the fish may flick their fins up and down, or they might rock back and forth in the water without actually scratch on anything.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back