Advanced acrylics refugium leaking, Need help

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys I got this from Advanced acrylics in 2019. It sat under the stand with my new tank as my build was delayed due to work and then Corona. Now it has developed a small leak in two months of use.
John offered to exchange this but I asked him if I could stick this as leak is small and it will save him money.

John also built me a canopy, control board, refugium and multiple other items. But 3 weeks later and still don't have the glue from him.

I don't want to wait any longer. Is this something I can fix. What kind of glue to use.

Why I don't want to deal with him anymore ?
I asked him to build me a canopy PVC or acrylic for my tank.
He did, when the canopy arrived it didn't have any holes to hang. I asked him 15 times if he could give me ideas for best way to hang it, or atleast tell me stronger place where I could drill holes. Since his refugium leaked within a month I am scared what If the canopy falls apart or the glue gives way?
Why would you sell or make me a canopy without anything to hang it is beyond me.

So I am tired of him finding time for me. I had no problem with him and I think he does decent work for price till this refugium and canopy.

So I need help from DIY section to help find right glue to stop this leak.
See video

OP
OP
ssdawood

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Refugium on Right. Sump is RE I bought used. No leak. Maybe 7 years old.

Attachments

• 20211206_122233.jpg
    20211206_122233.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
ssdawood

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
See this is new design refugium. Where acrylic is full front not a window like mine.
Maybe in my design it is harder to stick pvc and acrylic that way like a window.

Just thinking how to fix this so I can have my refugium back.
Next one will be RE.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211211-190946_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211211-190946_Chrome.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
ssdawood

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is the canopy. See no holes etc to hang.
I am going to drill each side. You guys think I will be OK?
Since refugium leak , I am worried the red plate in middle might come loose with weight of lights if not glued properly.
Tell me I am crazy. Canopy should be ok.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20211011_093159.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20211011_093159.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Resized_Resized_20211011_093212.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20211011_093212.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 83

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find some good aluminum hanging brackets to post for the canopy but its proving difficult. As far as the sump goes I believe weldon 4 is the go to.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes weldon 4, it has a long curing time however. 3 days to reach 80% strength,

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed over the part about simply drilling holes in the canopy. Its not a bad idea. If your using cable putting some sort of a jacket over cable where it contacts the acrylic or pvc so it spreads the load a bit. Or some type of an insert in the hole. If that makes sense just afraid of it cracking.

CHASDB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty sure you don't want to use Weldon 4, that is for acrylic to acrylic. It is a very thin solvent .

Weldon 40 is a 2 part adhesive that may be better but maybe to difficult for a novice to use effectively.

JB Plastic weld 8237 may work well. With Nitrile gloves on you can kneed it and apply a fillet weld on a lap joint. I'm just not sure if it cures 100% safe for your inhabitants.

If you are unsuccessful and your repair damages the sump you may void any warranty. I personally would want to hear what AA recommends.

As far as the canopy, It will not fall apart. What lights are you running in there? I don't know what you asked for when he built the canopy. If you asked for a floating canopy with a mounting system and he supplied brackets or cables I would expect specific holes. I don't think it was discussed. You could do hanging cables from the ceiling, from shelf brackets above or 80/20 structure from the back of your tank. What is your preference?

-Charles

OP
OP
ssdawood

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What kind glue does John uses to stick that acrylic window to pvc.
Can't I use that same glue to stop the leak.
I rather not go begging John for help. After spending enough cash no one wants to feel like second grade citizen.

Here is 700 dollar refugium and 1400 dollar canopy and I am in diy section asking for help to stop leak and weather the canopy will stand intact when hung.

Let's forget the refugium if it can't be fixed right. Landfill

At this point I am done with John

Thank you guys. Money wasted

CHASDB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, I hear your frustration. This hobby has highs and lows as equipment fails to function and livestock passes or you get to see your pets grow and thrive as your family looks on. I work as a field technician and am caught many a times between the manufacturer and end customer on an issue the engineers didn't realize, don't think exists. This reefing is supposed to be fun, but often can be challenging and stressful. If you keep posting I will continue to try and help.

I haven't tried bonding the 2 materials and just didn't want to steer you wrong, but I have been known to overthink things.

I looked again at that JB weld product again and now see on the package bottom left that it is approved NSF drinking water safe. You can get it at Amazon and auto parts store. I believe it will work well for your needs. I would clean/ dry the inside of the sump especially the joint. You could use a hair dryer to help dry the joint from the outside. I would kneed the epoxy and roll it into a rope and then press it over the joint around the window's corner on the inside of the sump.

OP
OP
ssdawood

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
^^^
I am going to give it a shot. The refugium enters in return of sump anyways.

I do have a new sump coming from Germany so I should be ok.

I have order from Algae barn coming soon. So rather have a refugium than not.

Funny thing is he offered to replace it. I don't know if he was true or not. I know the cost associated with replacement for a business. So I offered to try and use glue to save him cash.

That's more of my frustration. I looked out for you and you didn't have 15 min in 4 weeks to mail me glue, Give direction about canopy with no hanging holes.

I will keep you updated.

OP
OP
ssdawood

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am also going to contact RE from Germany. See if they can advise. I will update this thread from RE and JB weld use.
This way in future any person will similar problem will have help.

RE touts Acrylic and PVC bonding as leak proof. So far it's true. I have about 8 year old sump still in operation with similar acrylic window.

OP
OP
ssdawood

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pretty sure you don't want to use Weldon 4, that is for acrylic to acrylic. It is a very thin solvent .

Weldon 40 is a 2 part adhesive that may be better but maybe to difficult for a novice to use effectively.

JB Plastic weld 8237 may work well. With Nitrile gloves on you can kneed it and apply a fillet weld on a lap joint. I'm just not sure if it cures 100% safe for your inhabitants.

If you are unsuccessful and your repair damages the sump you may void any warranty. I personally would want to hear what AA recommends.

As far as the canopy, It will not fall apart. What lights are you running in there? I don't know what you asked for when he built the canopy. If you asked for a floating canopy with a mounting system and he supplied brackets or cables I would expect specific holes. I don't think it was discussed. You could do hanging cables from the ceiling, from shelf brackets above or 80/20 structure from the back of your tank. What is your preference?

-Charles
What about 4052
I see avast marine selling 2oz bottles with applicator saying it's best for acrylic to pvc.

What do you think Charles. I want to give this a shot before jb weld. What do you think.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys can give me pointers how to stop leak and kind of glue it will be very helpful
Weldon 16. Great permanent solvent cement for repair. I fixed a leak I a tray I built with weldon 4 with acrylic shavings melted in the weldon. Amazon has all the weldon products.

OP
OP
ssdawood

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
^^^
I did use the acrylic cement from Avast Marine that I had in house.
When looking at the bottom of refugium acrylic window from inside I did notice the problem.

You know how the red Welds go as a single weld all around than at one point they have a break.
Well in this window the red weld breaks at the bottom of window amd there are couple breaks.
I think if the break in weld was on top water pressure being less might not have caused a leak.
But them again I don't a lot about welding acrylic. So I could be wrong.
Let me post some pics.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about 4052
I see avast marine selling 2oz bottles with applicator saying it's best for acrylic to pvc.

What do you think Charles. I want to give this a shot before jb weld. What do you think.
Jb won't adhere to acrylic. It WILL fail. Research the Weldon brand products and I'm sure you will find something that will give you a pro quality repair. I've built so many tanks, sump and overflows I can't count. I've had leaks. Weldon is the best acrylic product.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%

Back