Advice Appreciated

mex71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm in the process of moving up from a 120 gallon with dual overflow to a 180 gallon.
I can order a 180 gallon aquarium either standard or reef ready. the difference being $184.
My question is, what all is involved in a reef ready tank. I do know a place in town that can drill the glass but what else is involved?
some pics of existing reef ready tanks would be nice. I guess it has 2 drains and 2 returns?
I'm just thinking that I can get this done for a lot less than $184.
tia
mex71 Plankton Posts: 14 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:56 pm

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your best bet is to let them drill it because if it cracks it will cost you more the 184 to have it done thats for sure and there should be a warranty with it drilled also. when drilling yourself you may void that warranty.

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah for $184 bucks more. You are safer going that route. I can say this from experience as I bought a 270g tank and drilled a couple holes on the bottom. The holes came out fine but but wasn't the cleanest cut and after installing the BH and plumbing I some how cracked the glass between the 2 holes. I had to spend another $300 for a new 6'x3'x.5'' glass sheet to repair the tank.

Fragged_it

Dremel_Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the return and drain hardware is included, the $185 isn't as bad as it may sound.

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First lesson - DONT CUT CORNERS!!! you dont want to learn that the hard way... trust me.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. If you are going to have the overflows in the bottom, it's worth it for the manufacturer to drill it. As far as price you have to consider the price to drill each hole, the overflow kit, bulkheads and the black pvc cover. One thing to consider is to ask them if they will drill the back of the tank instead. Having the overflows through the back wall is nicer as far losing tank space from the ones going through the bottom. Just a thought.

BASA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried doing a quick search to get the price on overflows. I didn’t find anything.
I’m going to assume that since that the RR tank is 184 more it is going to include the overflows. That is probably a big part of the price difference and something you will still need to pay for. Another thing to consider, a 180G tank is not small or light. You are talking about transporting it around town and having it drilled by someone who could mess it up.

So now you’re out the price of the over flows and price of the silicone to attach them. Paying the company to drill it, the time, hassle, RISK and gas for transporting it around town and you will to do all the work yourself.

OR pay this person the 184 and have it delivered to your door ready to go!!! Now that something is worth paying for.

Reef lvr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to save money buy a used tank that is reef ready. Dont let some joe blow with a holesaw cut your tank and your wallet in the long run

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back