Advice Feeding fresh clams

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reesj
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reesj

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2019
Messages
865
Reaction score
4,747
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm quite new to feeding anything except pellets. I got my 180 gallon going for starters with few banner fish and hoping to add some butterfly and angles in few days.

I bought about 20 fresh clams from a chineese shop as I heard fish love them. They were in ice cold water and they gave me dipped in them. I came and put 2 in to the tank and rest to the sump.
My problem is that they are closed off. Do I need to freeze them or open them for the fish?
If I leave them in tank for a while will they open up and not die off and pollute the water ?

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-13 at 14.05.01_40b916ee.jpg
 
Normally, when I buy buy clams, oysters or mussels, they are refrigerated & dry. When I am ready to feed, I remove the live bi=valve from the refrigerator, open shell and dissect flesh to feed fish. One week is maximum time in refrigerator. When I buy a small sack, I refrigerate what will be eaten in a week and I freeze the rest.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new