advice for filter upgrade...canister vs hob

  • Thread starter Thread starter maineboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

maineboy

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
04038
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a Seachem 75 HOB which I honestly am not super thrilled with--it seems most of the flow goes through the upper skimmer part and very little through the bottom intake tube (i.e when I sprinkled flakes on the surface it went through the top skimmer and then shot through the filter back into the tank)...would a canister filter be an easy/big upgrade?? was considering a fluval 307...my current tank is a 36 gallon bow front with 5 fish (FOWLR)
 
I can’t address your specific equipment, I can address how ecosystems work.
With respect to HOB, I favor AquaClear;
Easy to service and large compartment for media. Because I don’t use mechanical or chemical filtration, I fill HOB with reef rubble inoculated with pods. On 25 year mature 75G tank, I also use a canister filter filled with similar reef rubble. In the case of the cannister, I am using it as a cryptic refugium. I use corals, sponges and other filter feeders as my active bio-filter.

PS: Yes, a cannister filter would be an easy upgrade. If you use standard mechanical filtration, it should be serviced monthly, depending on your ecosystem.

image.jpg
 
Last edited:
IMO adding a skimmer to work in conjunction with the hob would be a much better upgrade, compared to switching one mechanical filter for another. My 32 gallon has a Bullet skimmer and 75 tidal hob and weekly water changes.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new