Advice for Newbies!

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an idea. We have the worlds greatest collection of marine aquaria enthusiasts, right here on this forum. I'm confident every member of R2R has at least one thing they would do differently if they had a reset button. Let's share those with the people just getting started in the hobby. Here are a couple from me.

1. Plumb outside air directly to a protein skimmer.
2. Never put additives in a tank to cure a problem without expecting it to create another.

What's yours?

no name ...

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an idea. We have the worlds greatest collection of marine aquaria enthusiasts, right here on this forum. I'm confident every member of R2R has at least one thing they would do differently if they had a reset button. Let's share those with the people just getting started in the hobby. Here are a couple from me.

2. Never put additives in a tank to cure a problem without expecting it to create another.

What's yours?

no name ...

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's yours?
I would try to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible. I was never satisfied with my aquascape constantly changing things around. Let the tank cycle and mature and add new corals without disturbing your original scape. I just leave my tank alone and add new corals or fish and it has been a much better result for me.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible. I was never satisfied with my aquascape constantly changing things around. Let the tank cycle and mature and add new corals without disturbing your original scape. I just leave my tank alone and add new corals or fish and it has been a much better result for me.
I haven't moved a solitary rock since setting up my tank. Probably because I'm a lazy reefer.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup my #1 is your number 2!

#1 Algae or bacterial blooms -whether dinos or green hair- is not a “problem to be solved” at all!!! It is a symptom of a problem that needs to be solved. Treat the problem and the algae and bacteria will disappear on its own. If you attempt to solve the algae or bacterial issue you will simply have more problems… later. But I will look great for a short while!

#2 Avoid adding pests to your tank at all cost. I’m still learning this one after nearly 30 years I am still willing to trust a trusted source on occasion-and have bubble algae and flatworms as a result. Arg! When will I take my own advice here.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Don't buy completely based on what you only want or need now. As I found out, eventually you will be wanting a larger tank, a sump instead of AIO, etc. Plan your equipment with something you can grow into.
2. If you are between the cheap short term option and the more expensive reputable option, go with the reputable. More often than not, they are reputable for a reason.
3. Take preventative measures in regards to nutrients. If you know you struggle with high phosphate, start using GFO before green hair algae (GHA) can take hold

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back