Advice keeping for healthy corals

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helo
I have a 3+ month old system
In addition to some nice fish. I have a torch coral, 2 head frogspawn and a big 8+ head frogspawn. I also have 2 small button polyp frags 2 small GSP frags and a waving hand coral. I have a 75 gallon tank with 18gallon sump. I have 2 Kessils 360 we curve7 a bubble magus skimmer and gyre 130. I do a 10 % water change every 2 weeks . What other tips or advice do you experienced reefers have for me to keep my corals looking healthy, big and happy?? Thanks

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Be careful to not add pests to your system.
2. Keep stable water parameters (Alk, Calcium)
3. Keep nutrients in check (not too low, not too high)
4. Be patient. :)

CB

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CB
I actuallt wanted one more coral. Hammer coral

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CB
Should I do any type of direct feeding or dosing? I feed my fish shrimp soaked in garlic and seaweed on a clip.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends what type of feeding or dosing you are talking about. About adding more coral, I believe adding a hammer should not be a problem if your torch and frogspawns are doing well.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends what type of feeding or dosing you are talking about. About adding more coral, I believe adding a hammer should not be a problem if your torch and frogspawns are doing well.
Not sure what to dose or feed. I was looking for suggestions if there was a need for either one of those. I know that when a tank is young there isn't much need for dosing if there isn't many corals. My corals look good as far s I can tell. I'll post some pics to see what you think .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks they are doing well. I would not worry abut feeding corals unless your corals are not thriving and you ruled out several other reasons. I feed the fish, and they feed the corals.
About dosing you want to be proactive. It is a good idea to decide what route you will go (2 part dosing, Ca reactor, kalwasser...). Once you decide make it sure you have all you need to start and keep an eye on your Alk and Ca. I would measure Alk every day to every other day (alk varies much faster than Ca), and Calcium every week. Once the water changes are not replacing it anymore it is time to start with the option you choose.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop soaking your fish food in garlic. Scientific studies have found that long term use of garlic on fish can cause liver damage. Besides there is no benefits to feeding it to healthy fish.
Its sole purpose was to entice fish to eat through smell. Something a healthy fish doesn't need.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop soaking your fish food in garlic. Scientific studies have found that long term use of garlic on fish can cause liver damage. Besides there is no benefits to feeding it to healthy fish.
Its sole purpose was to entice fish to eat through smell. Something a healthy fish doesn't need.
I too have read this. There are articles out there that does show this conclusion.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also read the same about garlic. The reason I've been doing it is because my hippo has shown signs of ich from the first week I got him. It's been now a month and the ich has been reduced to maybe 2 spot.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back