Advice needed. Bulkhead vs uniseal?

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you want a bulk head nut on the wet side? No. Flange and gasket, wet. Google "bulkhead gasket wet or dry" and peruse the first twenty to thirty results, and just consider me a conformist.

You can have my wet gasket when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure, you can put the bulkhead nut on the wet side, if thats what need to happen for that application and if you do, put the gasket on the flange/dry side. no need for me to google, ive done plenty of research and bulkhead installation.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Might be hard to back the nut up over coralline in time, but okay. Likely I'm mistaken, and have argued the point too long already, and am coming off like an idiot. Sorry.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW Chris, I have a 55g container and used a standard bulkhead. The larger diameter likely allowed for me to get away with it. I had to go flange out to get a secure fit and it has been up and holding 40-50 gallons regularly for a few years. I think you already figured out the direction you're going, but it does work :) Interesting thread btw, lol.

IMG_0744.JPG

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW Chris, I have a 55g container and used a standard bulkhead. The larger diameter likely allowed for me to get away with it. I had to go flange out to get a secure fit and it has been up and holding 40-50 gallons regularly for a few years. I think you already figured out the direction you're going, but it does work :) Interesting thread btw, lol.

IMG_0744.JPG
Where did you get your container? Have your RODI dumping into it?

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir Brian, it feeds directly into it. I need to install an auto shutoff for it, been lazy I guess and lucky, I only overflowed it once lol. But I have the 150 gpd RODI, so it fills fairly quick. I picked up (2) of these containers in Michigan from a fellow reefer. He owned a carwash and they held soap. I soaked and rinsed and soaked and rinsed them for several months with bleach and then vinegar. It took awhile to get the soap smell from them and I still didn't trust them, but I researched using them and people swore that the soap was non-toxic, so eventually I set up one and it has not affected my system over the last few years. Eventually, I will set up the second one and tie it to the first, for a salt mixing container. I just don't have my fish room anymore and they are so big I don't have the space to do so. I use a 45g brute on wheels and roll it up under, fill it up and mix in the brute.

My containers are the food grade plastic as well, but for peace of mind, if I had to do it over again, I'd buy the ones like Chris has or buy the ones I have, new. The following link is exactly the container I have.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...5caxMNad_5dmvs1EhdDU9xoCabTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reeflogic