FTP Threaded Bulkhead Question

Crazygar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to purchase this: 1/2" slip bulkhead w/insert from a Lifegard Aquatics distributor here in Canada but have a question about the threaded FTP part.

1710070676139.png

First, does anyone else use these? I think its a great idea to incorporate the Bulkhead with the Barb Insert Fitting or am I reading this wrong?

Second, I am going to assume that the Bulkhead interior is threaded (from the overflow side) Female so I would obviously need a SLIP/MPT adapter to connect my slip piping into the threaded bulkhead?

Rather than purchase to find out I cannot use, I figured it would tap on the shoulders of the experts here.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I am reading. This is a 1/2" slip bulkhead, but not both ends. Screen or pipe would be pushed into it. Requires a 1-1/18 hole. It comes with the barb fitting pre-installed. Now for my assumption: the barb is threaded so it screws into the back of the bulkhead. Assumption was wrong. Its 1 piece

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used these over the years. They work fine. Barb is molded into the bulkhead unit - cannot be removed. Although if you aren’t careful it can be snapped off …. Flange was slip on all the unit I used, so there is no FPT threading.

OP
OP
Crazygar

Crazygar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both.

Descriptions on this website look like a serious case of copy & paste hence my confusion and question.

Good to hear that others have used these, as it makes remarkably more sense to have the piece all in one (one less leak point).

Will order these and the true measure of description will be when I have them in my possession.

Gary

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The disadvantage with them, as with all barbs, is that the ID is smaller than typical sch40 pvc so they tend to be restrictive to flow.

OP
OP
Crazygar

Crazygar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree but this is for my Primary, Stockman and Emergency Drains into the sump, where it will be at the mercy of gravity.

Gary

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back