Advice on Aquarium Dimensions

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to place an order for a custom aquarium and am stuck trying to decide between a 150 gallon tank that is 5 ft. long by 2 ft. wide by 2 feet high or going with something with a little more depth and doing a 4 ft. long by 2.5 ft. wide by 2 ft. high tank. My heart was set on doing something "deeper" so the 30 inch wide was what I was planning on, then I made a cardboard version of the aquarium and I'm starting to question whether I wouldn't want it to be longer. Will I be missing out on anything by going with the 4 foot version?

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my original thought, unfortunately after getting quotes back for the tanks that size the price jump from the 150 was markedly higher. My significant other was also getting very nervous about the amount of water the closer it got to 200 gallons. So the 150 was the compromise.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal preference, really. Considerations I would look at are livestock choices and maintenance. 5 feet is great to provide extra room for fish that like lots of open water to swim across. Extra width can be impressive, but keep in mind that your arms are only so long - there's no chance you can reach the back of a 2.5 ft wide tank from the front. I hope you have access from both sides? Sometimes with very deep/wide tanks we have livestock that fall or "migrate" to poor locations getting left there, just because it's a pita to move.

My vote would be the 5ft tank but that's just me. Easier to reach everywhere and I believe tangs prefer longer tanks.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree it is really personal preference. For me I would do the 4ft tank as I like that front-to-back depth more than I want a foot longer. However that would be dependent on me being able to access the tank from the sides or the back. Otherwise anytime you need to get to that back section of the tank is going to be pretty tough.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want tangs, 4’ is needed for the smallest tangs. So that might influence your decision.

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew I forgot something. It will be a peninsula. I had run tanks before that were smaller and had issues trying to access the back of the tank so the one requirement of this build was that it would be a peninsula.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, Pennisula will allow a wider tank. remember, deep and wide you will have to be snorkling to reach the middle bottom of the tank. Unless you are +6' tall our arms kind of limit our ability to do in tank work once the water goes in.

A little shallower, a little wider is a good compromise since this will be a Penn tank!

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to place an order for a custom aquarium and am stuck trying to decide between a 150 gallon tank that is 5 ft. long by 2 ft. wide by 2 feet high or going with something with a little more depth and doing a 4 ft. long by 2.5 ft. wide by 2 ft. high tank. My heart was set on doing something "deeper" so the 30 inch wide was what I was planning on, then I made a cardboard version of the aquarium and I'm starting to question whether I wouldn't want it to be longer. Will I be missing out on anything by going with the 4 foot version?
There has been some good comments, but i'd also consider where its going to be placed and the space it will take up in the room. Granted a foot difference between the two isn't a big deal, but that could be something to consider.

I have a 6 foot 125 gallon. If I did it again, i'd shoot for something a little shorter and wider. It's not a issue now, but a few years from now I imagine things will get really cramped width wise as the coral colonies mature.

Just my 2cents.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would look into 5' long X 30-36" D
If the other two are only choices- the 4ft one

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. If I could I would definitely go with something 5 feet and either 30 or 36 inches but my wife would kill me. So, I'm leaning heavily, like 99% now towards the 4 foot. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I hadn't thought of that would make 5 feet a lot better.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. If I could I would definitely go with something 5 feet and either 30 or 36 inches but my wife would kill me. So, I'm leaning heavily, like 99% now towards the 4 foot. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I hadn't thought of that would make 5 feet a lot better.
Why not bring your wife into the decision making process? She would love it, and you’ll likely get more than you would otherwise, lol. One thing we men often don’t consider much, is how the tank will change the look of the room. If it can add lots of room appeal, you’d have much more success with your better half.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never gotten out a tape measure and measured various aquariums.

But I am a cyclist. Bicycle tires are sold in mm widths. But it is readily apparent that one manufacture‘s 23 mm tire is bigger than another’s 25 mm tire. I do not think that any of these companies agrees as to what exactly a mm is.

So given that, I would not expect high accuracy in measurements in the aquarium business. But who knows? They might all be on one page on this one.

underwaterworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same dimension aquarium and it is also it is also a peninsula. I love it! You will not regret it. Only issue is that the 24" high can be a problem for people with shorter arms. If I had the room for a 6ft or longer aquarium I would have done the 72X30x24 or 96X30x24

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back