Advice on getting a 310g tank down stairwell

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a Miracles 270 gallon rimless, so it's pretty hefty. There were about 8 people at the sellers house with 6 people on the tank with the rest holding doors and ensuring the floor was clear. At my house, it was my 16 year old son and me. We unloaded it from an uneven trailer and got it on the stand by lifting one end at a time with the suction cups.

You'll want 2 strong folks below the tank as they'll have to bear most of the weight. Whoever is above won't have the position to hold as much weight and will also be relying on their grip. I'd also consider building a mock tank out of PVC and maneuvering it through your house to check clearances. I had a straight shot, but your banister and ceiling might pose a challenge when turning the tank.

I used furniture dollies because they were like $10 at Harbor Freight, but I'd strongly recommend building that piano skid with straps and suction cups. Also, the seller put felt along the bottom of the stand and it slides easily on wooden or tile floors. You might consider whether that would be beneficial for your application.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup it’s a Planet Aquarium. I bought it through Discover Aquatics. They never made any mention of them helping get it in. Although I also didn’t ask. I just paid the extra shipping cost to have it delivered straight to my house instead of to their shop.
I'd call Aquarium Artisans and get Mitch or Jeremy to call you back. Get a quote.

Betcha they'd do it for $200 but with no liability. If they drop it, crack it, it's on you BUT they have professional grips, equipment and KNOW-HOW

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd call Aquarium Artisans and get Mitch or Jeremy to call you back. Get a quote.

Betcha they'd do it for $200 but with no liability. If they drop it, crack it, it's on you BUT they have professional grips, equipment and KNOW-HOW

I might go out there and talk to them about it. I’ve never been to aquarium artisans before, I’ve heard of it before, just never been, would give me a reason to go check the place out. They would probably have a better idea of how to safely do it over any diy idea I come up with for me and my buddies that have never moved anything that large, expensive and fragile before. I’d probably be willing to take that risk if they will only want a couple hundred bucks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back