Advice on moving forward (Diatom/Dino questions)

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so I've had a new tank setup for most of the new year and I'm just trying to find a solid answer on how to move forward with it. After about two weeks of cycling with brighwell ammonia and MB XLM everything was good, added a few fish still progressing fine. Right now my NO3 is bottomed out as well as my PO4. I've been feeding several times through out the day in an effort to see any trace of either on my test kits (Several brands, all trusted). Not getting any reading. I haven't been skimming and outside of the initial water change I haven't done one in an effort to stave off the possibility of Dinos.

Also currently dealing with an almost weekly bacterial bloom, I don't know if this is related to heavy feeding or something else. I have very serious concerns that with the nutrients bottomed out so hard that I might already have dinos or be very close to having it. I'm just looking for some advice on how to progress. Do I turn skimmer on and let it's run it's course? If my algae bloom is caused by heavy feeding why aren't my Nutrient tests reflecting it? If it's enough to cause that it surely should register on tests. Do I start up water changes as well? I've ordered some more tested stuff including a Hannah Checker, 4 tests kits can't be wrong. It's stressing me a bit and any advice on how to proceed would be amazing, thanks all.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your are going through the normal process of a reef tank, the system needs about two years to settle. It is normal behavior however you need to find out if you are dealing with diatoms or dinos. I would not be concerned about diatoms they will come and go however dinos can be bad as they can kill coral. If you have dinos you need to check what type so you can eradicate them. Having a UVC, combined with 3 days blackout period can help you with photosynthetic dinos. I wouldn’t reduce the feeding until double checking the NO3 and PO4.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Please post pics under white light to help determine what you may have

OP
OP
sas226

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes ever week 10 percent carbon and GFO no snake oil additives.
My nutrients are already bottomed out, GFO will only compound that problem unless I've completely misunderstood the purpose of GFO. Appreciate the help though. I've also tested NO3 and PO4 with different test kits still reading the same, the last one I'm waiting on is the Hannah Checker. I don't expect it to change but 4 tests, the chance of the result being wrong are pretty slim I would think. If it's dinos, I'm already feeding quite a bit to the point that I think I'm causing bacterial blooms. How is that possible if I'm bottomed out on nutrients? Is the bloom consuming all my extra feeding? I really don't know how this stuff works. At this point I'm trying to get my nutrients up to a safer level, get the blooms under control and move forward. As I stated before, skimmer is off, water changes aren't happening. With the amount I'm feeding I'm shocked there aren't any detectable of either. Ill try to get some photos up for you soon as I can.

OP
OP
sas226

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple photos for you.
image1.jpg
image0 (2).jpg

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple photos for you.
image1.jpg
image0 (2).jpg
Diatoms give it time it will go away new tank right u should be a to take a turkey baster and blow it around. Take at least 6 to 7 months for the uglys to go away next up will be green and green hair and next is purple Algae that means the tank is getting balanced it just takes time. Happy reefing.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms give it time it will go away new tank right u should be a to take a turkey baster and blow it around. Take at least 6 to 7 months for the uglys to go away next up will be green and green hair and next is purple Algae that means the tank is getting balanced it just takes time. Happy reefing.
+1

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir. First cycle u should see brown diatoms. For a couple weeks and the the green will come as well as green hair for a couple months then come the purple that what u are looking for. That means the tank is coming into balance. Happy reefing

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back