Advice on my stubborn clownfish =(

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice on what to do about my pair of stubborn a*s clowns lol. So I got a pair of ocellaris about 6 or 7 months ago when I started my tank (I kno I'm basic :rolleyes:) but I just love the colors and personality (most of the time :rolleyes:) They gravitated to the top corners of the tank and slept there too. After some time went on and I started adding a cpl more fish and corals I decided I was ready to get a bubble tip for them. They were both little babies when I first got them and now they are just about a little over an inch long now. Now I know it's pointless to "place" anemones bc they're gonna go wherever they damnwell plz and they sure did. And after taking a lap or 2 he decided on the very very top of my aquascape arc and I think it looks cool there but unfortunately my clowns never go to the very top of the tank and didn't even notice it. And I tried multiple times to try and gently "direct" them to the nem but nope went immediately back to they're home. Not only do they want no parts of the bta but they have decided on hosting my magfloat cleaner and making that their home. ;Rage So after a few weeks I Decided to try again with another bubble tip but this time trying to place it on top of the mag float cleaner to see if they would accept it being as it's right on top of their current home. Now at 1st they avoided it like the plague and then they decided to swim by it just a little but just as they started to do that, it decided to take a walk. It went up-and-down the tank and ended up pretty much in the same spot except now they want nothing to do with it. So I need some advice on trying to get them in there I've tried with the net and that only spooked them away even further from the nem I don't know if there's another way the people have tried but I'm kind of losing hope here. It's crazy that the anemone is literally right next to them but they still won't go in or even show any sign of interest so anything you guys could suggest would be helpful. I've moved the cleaner as soon as he detached from it and they just went to the other corner of the tank. I'm kind of losing hope they will ever host it ;Shifty

Screenshot_20210307-213921_Photos~2.jpg 20210307_230558.jpg 20210307_230321.jpg 20210307_230252.jpg Screenshot_20210307-213748_Photos~2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Print a pic of clownfish in a ‘nem and tape it to the glass.
That was the first thing I did lol. I should of mentioned my failed attempts. I tried with pic and when that didn't work I actually found an hour long vid on utube and posted my iPad next to the tank so they could actually see the clown fish moving in and out of the anemone. They weren't into movie night and moved to the other side of the tank. My blenny enjoyed it tho.

Attachments

• 16151790425036076364777627196098.jpg
    16151790425036076364777627196098.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How strong is the flow in your tank?
Ehh it could be stronger. I bought a new powerhead nothing too strong bc I have a cube and it's hard to put it somewhere that doesn't point directly on the rockwork but I've been meaning to find a good spot for it. Why? Do you think that would help? The guy at my LFS that assembled my tank said that I had enough with the 2 return heads. I have an airstone too but I've been wondering how the fish will react to a stronger powerhead .

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh it could be stronger. I bought a new powerhead nothing too strong bc I have a cube and it's hard to put it somewhere that doesn't point directly on the rockwork but I've been meaning to find a good spot for it. Why? Do you think that would help? The guy at my LFS that assembled my tank said that I had enough with the 2 return heads. I have an airstone too but I've been wondering how the fish will react to a stronger powerhead .
I was remembering when I first setup my 32G Biocube and ran two powerheads in it. The fish were always up in the corners trying to get away from too much flow.
Eventually I took one of the powerheads out and directed the remaining one to push water from behind the rock work.
Now the fish swim in the water - still favoring one side of the tank away from the return flow.

I did just add a variable flow nozzle to my return and I like it a lot.

So try and locate your powerhead so it pushes water across the back of your rockwork and see if your clowns will respond to that.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was remembering when I first setup my 32G Biocube and ran two powerheads in it. The fish were always up in the corners trying to get away from too much flow.
Eventually I took one of the powerheads out and directed the remaining one to push water from behind the rock work.
Now the fish swim in the water - still favoring one side of the tank away from the return flow.

I did just add a variable flow nozzle to my return and I like it a lot.

So try and locate your powerhead so it pushes water across the back of your rockwork and see if your clowns will respond to that.
Thanks I'll give it a shot.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the first thing I did lol. I should of mentioned my failed attempts. I tried with pic and when that didn't work I actually found an hour long vid on utube and posted my iPad next to the tank so they could actually see the clown fish moving in and out of the anemone. They weren't into movie night and moved to the other side of the tank. My blenny enjoyed it tho.
Lol this method actually worked for me , but it took 3 days of 6 hour sessions , but my oscellarus hosted btas after

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had clowns for 2 years and nems for a lot of that time. My clowns host a powerhead. I've even played them youtube videos of other clowns and nems. They were fully enveloped in a nem at the pet store when I bought them.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had clowns for 2 years and nems for a lot of that time. My clowns host a powerhead. I've even played them youtube videos of other clowns and nems. They were fully enveloped in a nem at the pet store when I bought them.
That's so crazy bc I think mine were too when I got them. And I see these vids of ppl using the tube slides to get them in there but I think that only works when ur introducing new clowns to the tank for the first time. If I ordered one and caught them and put them in the tube they would just eventually swim out and go right back to the magfloat. I just find it so crazy that he's literally right there on top of the cleaner and they just avoid him like the plague. Ughhh. Im sad for the anemone bc he's like "guys! I'm right friggin here looking fabulous and waiting for you to host me!" But I won't give up. Even if it takes months I will keep looking up other possible methods. They may have won this battle but I will win the war.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back