Advice on new, larger tank!

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright Reefers, do what you do best!

I currently have a 36 gallon FOWLR tank (See build thread for specs). And the boyfriend agreed to let me get a larger tank (between 90-125 Gallons). Problem is, I know NOTHING about sumps. My current tank has a Fluval Canister filter which does its job for the small guy but if I'm going big I'm obviously going to use a sump (Unless you think a canister will work for a 90 Gallon?).

Here is the setup I am most likely picking up this weekend unless I find a better deal. Pics below and I will definitely be doing many things differently this time around. I have learned slow and steady wins the race in this hobby!

I will need a receiving pump and lights. I am going to do corals eventually but probably only a few as I know NOTHING about corals either.

Any advice you have please share, or thoughts on this tank! It is bulkier than I was lookig for but I couldnt pass up the deal I'm getting on the full setup!

1590574697290.png

1590574771959.png

1590574801494.png

1590574833880.png

1590574855644.png

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, here is a list of fish I like and am (obviously) going to narrow it down. But thoughts on any of these or how they play well with others would be great! Also inverts and CUC best for a 90 Gallon? I would REALLLLY like a starfish but not sure if it's doable.

Black lettering are my must haves!
Marble Wrasse
Grey Head Wrasse

Dusky Wrasse
Flame Angel
Rusty Angel
Combtooth Blenny
Randall’s Assessor Basslet
Chalk Basslet

Trio of pajama cardinals
Orchid Dottyback
Splendid Dottyback
White Spotted Pygmy Filefish

Yellow Watchman Goby and/or Clown Goby
Jewel Damsel
Pair of Clowns
Yellow Tang
Kole Yellow Eye Tang

Eventually probably around December,
HARLEQUIN TUSK

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always liked the look of corner tanks but have never had one personally. From what Ive read folks usually have issues dialing in flow and lighting due to the odd dimensions. Lighting shouldnt be too hard if you go with a smaller modular fixtures rather than one large fixture.

I like the oversized stand in what your looking at and thats quite a unique sump. Obviosuly built to fit that stand but getting the dimensions of each compartment might help you determine if the equipment you have or want will fit the space. Pictures can be deceiving in that regard so actual measurements would be good to have.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the amount of space that 90g corner thing is taking up I would go with a standard 4 foot 120g tank and sump. It will be easier to manage flow, have better length for the tangs you want, and be easier to aquascape. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the amount of space that 90g corner thing is taking up I would go with a standard 4 foot 120g tank and sump. It will be easier to manage flow, have better length for the tangs you want, and be easier to aquascape. Just my opinion.
I believe I found a 90gal rectangle set up I am going with instead that is reef ready. Can't wait to aquascape!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back