Brown and cloudy water in goldfish tank

tarynshae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have one 30 gallon tank and one 40 gallon tank both with goldfish in them currently.
We've had the 30 gallon tank for a few months. It was doing really well at first. About a month ago, the water started to turn brown. We did a water change and cleaned everything. After just a couple days, it went brown again. We've done several water changes and it just goes back to brown. We can't see anything in the tank becasue of the water.
The 40 gallon tank is new. The fish have only been in the tank for 2 days. The water is cloudy already. There is still visibility, but I'm concerned we are going to run into the same problem as the other tank.
Thank you for any advice!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @tarynshae!

Welcome to Reef2Reef! We are glad to have you and hope you find your time here enjoyable and informative.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties with your goldfish tank. Unfortunately, we here at Reef2Reef mostly discuss a subsect of aquarium keeping focused on saltwater miniature coral reef aquariums. While many of us have undoubtedly kept freshwater tanks including goldfish, most of us would probably not be an expert in their care. I think you may get more of a response to your questions if you posted again on a freshwater or goldfish focused forum.

I’m not sure if she’s still active today, but at one time Jen from Solid Gold Aquatics was the queen of goldfish, maybe she can be of some help to you now:
https://www.youtube.com/@flashofpink

I’m sorry I couldn’t be more direct help to you. Best of luck with your goldfish!

And please, stay and spend some time here on Reef2Reef, you may like it ;-)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back