Cloudy water

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65gallon tank has been a bit cloudy for a little over a week. I had changed the filter media around then so I suspected it could be from that and replaced it with the one I normally use. My tank is about 3/4 months old. It just cleared up from a diatom phase and now is clean. I did a big water change a couple days ago and it still is cloudy. Any suggestions how to fix this or why it may be happening?

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65gallon tank has been a bit cloudy for a little over a week. I had changed the filter media around then so I suspected it could be from that and replaced it with the one I normally use. My tank is about 3/4 months old. It just cleared up from a diatom phase and now is clean. I did a big water change a couple days ago and it still is cloudy. Any suggestions how to fix this or why it may be happening?
Does it look milky?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65gallon tank has been a bit cloudy for a little over a week. I had changed the filter media around then so I suspected it could be from that and replaced it with the one I normally use. My tank is about 3/4 months old. It just cleared up from a diatom phase and now is clean. I did a big water change a couple of days ago and it still is cloudy. Any suggestions on how to fix this or why it may be happening?
Could you show us a picture so we can get a better understanding of the situation?

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 88

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime if you dont have enough flow, you can get a bacteria bloom from the stagnant water, but you said you have power heads so I am not sure. Are you dosing with anything? Do you have a filtration system?

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime if you dont have enough flow, you can get a bacteria bloom from the stagnant water, but you said you have power heads so I am not sure. Are you dosing with anything? Do you have a filtration system?
I think my flow is good I have 2 power heads in a 65g. When I do water changes I usually dose with life nitrifying Bacteria (could it be this?), prime, and water conditioner. I have a filtration system but no additional systems.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just was doing some research, it says activated char plate

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, activated charcoal can help this. I had got a new activated charcoal and I believe this happened shortly after. Could this maybe be it ?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my flow is good I have 2 power heads in a 65g. When I do water changes I usually dose with life nitrifying Bacteria (could it be this?), prime, and water conditioner. I have a filtration system but no additional systems.
Sometime when adding beneficial bacteria the water becomes cloudy because of a imbalance between bacteria and waste. Cloudy water equals more waste/ammonia than bacteria. I would check ammonia levels and nitride levels ASAP.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime when adding beneficial bacteria the water becomes cloudy because of an imbalance between bacteria and waste. Cloudy water equals more waste/ammonia than bacteria. I would check ammonia levels and nitride levels ASAP.
Ok I am going to test the water now.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, activated charcoal can help this. I had got a new activated charcoal and I believe this happened shortly after. Could this maybe be it it.

Sorry, activated charcoal can help this. I had got a new activated charcoal and I believe this happened shortly after. Could this maybe be it ?
This could be it, but usually activated charcoal has the opposite effect, xlearing up the water. Maybe something got mixed in with the charcoal packet causing this? I am not to sure though.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be it, but usually activated charcoal has the opposite effect, xlearing up the water. Maybe something got mixed in with the charcoal packet causing this? I am not to sure though.
I got a brand off Amazon, idk if the quality wasn’t as good?

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime when adding beneficial bacteria the water becomes cloudy because of a imbalance between bacteria and waste. Cloudy water equals more waste/ammonia than bacteria. I would check ammonia levels and nitride levels ASAP.
After doing the water test these are the levels:
pH: 8
Ammonia: 0.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0

Are these levels bad ?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am going to test the water now.
T

Are these levels bad ?
Ph is good.
Ammonia is bad, can be harming your fish.
Nitrate is good.
Nitrate is good.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are these levels bad ?
I would try to get ammonia down ASAP. Might clear up your water, but the ammonia is dangerous for your fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back