Cloudy water

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vibrant sea salt for the water and I mixed it with a power head and just stirred it for about 20mins.

This could be a reason too.

Best to allow salt to mix in a bucket with powerhead for about a few hours, to completely disolve.
I would follow the advice about putting it under an air stone incase its a bacteria bloom, and waiting it out 12 hours.

Check ammonia again after 12 hours, if it hasn't gone up, then wait another 12.
If the water hasn't cleared up after that, im gonna go with you got a bacteria bloom.
If it cleared up, its probably because your salt wasn't mixed thoughly and you got calcium precipitate in solution.

If you have a Mg test kit, id also test that... typically if you have calcium preciptating out, it means you have too much Mg.

I mean 0.2 isn't bad, but it's not something that you want. Last thing that you want is all your fish to get sick because of ammonia poisoning. It's happened to me, with low levels like that, that I thought would be fine. Not a good feeling.

I agree, however unless the tank is raising ammonia, or things have gotten worse, i would avoid changing chemistry at the moment, and seeing what it exactly is.

Also i saw clowns... lol, in the old days we cycled our tank with either damsils or clowns.
They can take some abuse, as long as its not too extreme, and suprise you how resiliant they are.

If its because his salt mix was no good, then having him change water again, would only make things worse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be a reason too.

Best to allow salt to mix in a bucket with powerhead for about a few hours, to completely disolve.
I would follow the advice about putting it under an air stone incase its a bacteria bloom, and waiting it out 12 hours.

Check ammonia again after 12 hours, if it hasn't gone up, then wait another 12.
If the water hasn't cleared up after that, im gonna go with you got a bacteria bloom.
If it cleared up, its probably because your salt wasn't mixed thoughly and you got calcium precipitate in solution.

If you have a Mg test kit, id also test that... typically if you have calcium preciptating out, it means you have too much Mg.

I agree, however unless the tank is raising ammonia, or things have gotten worse, i would avoid changing chemistry at the moment, and seeing what it exactly is.

If its because his salt mix was no good, then having him change water again, would only make things worse.
Ok so I should try an air stone first? Following that if nothing changes I can possibly assume it’s a bacteria bloom? Are bacteria blooms dangerous?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I should try an air stone first? Following that if nothing changes I can possibly assume it’s a bacteria bloom? Are bacteria blooms dangerous?
They are not dangerous, as long as you check and keep water parameters stable. It's mostly just ugly and it will hopefully clear up soon.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And keep an eye on that hippo tang i completely missed.
That should be the first sign of something not going right, as they will feel it first...

And yeah air stone first... check ammonia...

And they can be dangerous if you leave it unchecked too long.
They deprive the tank of O2 and you suffocate your fishes.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65gallon tank has been a bit cloudy for a little over a week. I had changed the filter media around then so I suspected it could be from that and replaced it with the one I normally use. My tank is about 3/4 months old. It just cleared up from a diatom phase and now is clean. I did a big water change a couple days ago and it still is cloudy. Any suggestions how to fix this or why it may be happening?
you shouldn't be doing more than 10 gallon for a water change, this is equivalent to 15%

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And keep an eye on that hippo tang i completely missed.
That should be the first sign of something not going right, as they will feel it first...

And yeah air stone first... check ammonia...

And they can be dangerous if you leave it unchecked too long.
They deprive the tank of O2 and you suffocate your fishes.
What would the hippo tang display as a sign of stress? It’s doing well, swims around, has a good appetite. How would you clear up a bacteria bloom?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get the ammonia down? I had a detoxifier?
Don’t over react to the ammonia test. For one thing, it could be zero but the test is off. 0.2 ppm total ammonia is hardly any of the toxic free ammonia, maybe 0.02 ppm. Also, you have a cycled aquarium and you haven’t added anything to generate ammonia.

By the way, the clown fish looks thin. Might have been the lighting. If not it needs filling out.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I haven’t tested for this yet or have a tester for it. I will get a testing get for this and see what it reads, could possibly be the problem.
I'm actually dealt with this recently. my new saltwater mix 150g for my new tank about two weeks ago had this happen. My alkalinity was 2 below what it was supposed to be, and my calcium was higher than 500. Bad salt mix.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually dealt with this recently. my new saltwater mix 150g for my new tank about two weeks ago had this happen. My alkalinity was 2 below what it was supposed to be, and my calcium was higher than 500. Bad salt mix.
ya I could have mixed the salt poorly. What did you do to fix the issue?

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t over react to the ammonia test. For one thing, it could be zero but the test is off. 0.2 ppm total ammonia is hardly any of the toxic free ammonia, maybe 0.02 ppm. Also, you have a cycled aquarium and you haven’t added anything to generate ammonia.

By the way, the clown fish looks thin. Might have been the lighting. If not it needs filling out.

Attachments

• 09ce5ac5a9f147469adb3e6d94398720.mp4
    5.7 MB

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
That doesn't look like calcium. It would be milky white. Do you have a skimmer throwing bubbles? Sometimes the bubbles don't look like bubbles.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK i see a wrasse in there now..

Please list how many fish you have in your tank and how fast you introduced them.

I think your tank has too many heavy eatters and it definitely looks like an onset bacteria bloom.
That means your Ammonia will probably go up and up and keep going up.

But a Hippo Tang + Wrasse + Fire Fish + 2 Clowns is what im taking it as...

You should of probably went 2 Clowns and Fire fish first... then hippo tang... and wrasse a couple months later.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please list how many fish you have in your tank and how fast you introduced them.

I think your tank has too many heavy eatters and it definitely looks like an onset bacteria bloom.

You should have probably went 2 Clowns and Fire fish first... then hippo tang... and wrasse a couple months later.
I have 2 clowns, the hippo tang, and a wrasse

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should of probably went 2 Clowns and Fire fish first... then hippo tang... and wrasse a couple months later.
Also, I got my clown fish first together, then a month later the other 2

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank looks awfully clean and may be a lack of bacteria. Is this a conventional tank without sump or chamber area. If so, consider a hang on protein skimmer such as Ice Cap K1 or K2 series and hang on refugium If standard tank
What filters are you utilizing right now and age of tank?

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awfully clean and may be a lack of bacteria. Is this a conventional tank without sump or chamber area. If so, consider a hang on protein skimmer such as Ice Cap K1 or K2 series and hang on refugium If standard tank
What filters are you utilizing right now and age of tank?
It honestly just became clean, it went through a lot of diatoms, the diatoms finally cleared up this week. I just have a regular filter,no protein skimmer but maybe I’ll look into that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back