Advice on parameters (20 Gallon)

Palytoxin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing, not sure if there is a post format, but I wanted to jump in, share some levels, and hopefully get some advice for what to do and what not to do!
Tank started Late November 2020 Salt being used currently is the Fluval Sea Salt.
(Live) Tank stocked with: Ocellaris snowflake clown, two scarlet reef hermit crabs, two blue leg hermit crabs, two sexy shrimp, 4 or 5 turbo snails. 12 Zoanthid frags between 1-5 heads each, walking dendra, small two polyp duncan coral
(Non-living) : Ton of extra shells for the hermits, 20 LB of Live rock (Cured and cycled), 20 LB of Aragonite
Levels- 1.023 Salinity, 400 PPM calcium, 1500 Magnesium, KH 179, PH 7.8, Nitrates 20 PPM, Nitrites 0.
Filtration: Fluval 407, stuffed with the biomax it came with, in addition to some activated carbon/zeolite crystal, as well as the regular foam padding it comes with.
Lights: Chinese box lights

Tank notes: Started dropping in the zoas about a month ago, mohawk zoanthids sprouted four new heads off of two!!! Magician zoanthid growing another head off of 2, and the utter chaos frag grew another head just last night!
Thanks in advance for the advice and I look forward to getting to know everyone and discussing tanks, loving all of this so far also if anyone has recommendations for chemical supplements and test kits, would be greatly appreciated.
(Edit was to add filtration and lighting)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2Reef!

There is no post format.

In my opinion, folks should post the question, then any background. There's nothing worse than reading a whole page of background before knowing what the question is. :)

Your levels look fine now so I would not look to add anything, but when alkalinity drops significantly, it is time to consider alkalinity (and calcium) dosing.

These have more:

The Many Methods for Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity - REEFEDITION

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 1: The Salt Water Itself by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 3: pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 4: What Chemicals May Detrimentally Accumulate by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

OP
OP
Palytoxin

Palytoxin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2Reef!

There is no post format.

In my opinion, folks should post the question, then any background. There's nothing worse than reading a whole page of background before knowing what the question is. :)

Your levels look fine now so I would not look to add anything, but when alkalinity drops significantly, it is time to consider alkalinity (and calcium) dosing.

These have more:

The Many Methods for Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity - REEFEDITION

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 1: The Salt Water Itself by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 3: pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 4: What Chemicals May Detrimentally Accumulate by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Thank you so much!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back