Would you dose po4?

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically i have a new 60-liter nano tank with stable parameters except for a low phosphate level (0ppm) checked with hanna ulr phosphorous checker . The nitrate level is at the desired range (8 ppm). I am considering dosing phosphate additive to reach 0.03-0.05 ppm (nyos phosphate) , but i am unsure if it's necessary. Should you dose phosphate or let it balance out on its own?
I am planning to add corals this week.
Other info about my aquarium
Alk: 8,2 dkh
Cal:405 ppm
Mag:1335ppm
Salinity: 34,8 sg
Temperature:26 c
4 month cycled with dry rock and live rabble in the sump. Skimmer
Light schedule on
No algae

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically i have a new 60-liter nano tank with stable parameters except for a low phosphate level (0ppm) checked with hanna ulr phosphorous checker . The nitrate level is at the desired range (8 ppm). I am considering dosing phosphate additive to reach 0.03-0.05 ppm (nyos phosphate) , but i am unsure if it's necessary. Should you dose phosphate or let it balance out on its own?
Light schedule on
No algae
I wouldn’t chase parameters when you don’t even have any livestock yet. After you add coral, feed with reef foods.. Phosphate will rise

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t chase parameters when you don’t even have any livestock yet. After you add coral, feed with reef foods.. Phosphate will rise
Thank you for the reply. My main worry is a cyano or dinos outbreak as well as starving the corals. Maybe a small dose to just make the levels detectable before adding the corals might be a good idea, in order to have some po4 reserve before adding coral

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose phosphates by using reef roids. It doubles as food and a phosphate dose as opposed to something that's just a clear additive.
Yes i agree 100% but i was thinking is a good idea to give an initial boost for po4 in order to get the above undetectable before adding the coral. What do you think?

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d either feed more or dose phosphate.
Thank you for the reply Randy. Why do some advise on not dosing po4? My thought was to dose a bit to reach detectable levels before adding coral and the start feeding reef roids etc. My other concern is dino or cyano outbreak, thats why i would like to raise them abit using additives instead of waiting for food to turn to po4

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light schedule on
No algae
If your phosphate is dropping below 0.03-0.05 using a Hanna ULR phosphate test I'd keep dosing to maintain that level.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your phosphate is dropping below 0.03-0.05 using a Hanna ULR phosphate test I'd keep dosing to maintain that level.
Thanks. What are the main concerns of dosing po4 instead naturally let it occur? I am not planning on dosing consistently, i just want to raise the po4 before adding coral and avoid any dino outbreaks

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. What are the main concerns of dosing po4 instead naturally let it occur? I am not planning on dosing consistently, i just want to raise the po4 before adding coral and avoid any dino outbreaks
A new tank that has been cycled with dry rock is an invitation for growth of undesirable organisms until it has had time to stabilise.

There is no phosphate reservoir in the carbonate structures to provide a stable source of phosphate, so once you start adding consumers it is possible for a phosphate deficiency to occur.

By adding phosphate you are providing an input to offset the binding of phosphate by the rock.

I'd keep adding phosphate until the desired level (0.05-0.10) is stable, and then you can stop.

You will find that the phosphate will appear to disappear each day until the rock has bound up enough to maintain a stable level.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. What is the mains concerns for dosing po4 ? I am not familiar with po4 dosing
I don't think there is anything wrong with dosing it, reef roids would also just server the purpose of directly being a food rather than just an additive. I think you will be ok either way.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply Randy. Why do some advise on not dosing po4? My thought was to dose a bit to reach detectable levels before adding coral and the start feeding reef roids etc. My other concern is dino or cyano outbreak, thats why i would like to raise them abit using additives instead of waiting for food to turn to po4

I expect people are not thinking about the dino concern.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It may take far more than foods can provide, if there is a substantial sink for P on fresh surfaces. So the concern is not a concern of dosing but a concern of foods.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take far more than foods can provide, if there is a substantial sink for P on fresh surfaces. So the concern is not a concern of dosing but a concern of foods.
It may take far more than foods can provide, if there is a substantial sink for P on fresh surfaces. So the concern is not a concern of dosing but a concern of food
I did test previously ( 1 week ago) and i had detectable levels 0,015, however i had to adjust my salinity from 36ppt to 35 ppt and did a bit of dilution adding rodi. I suspect po4 might not be that far apart from detectable levels. I will dose for a few days and see if i can stabilise it. P.S i just saw my nyos phospate additive expired 6 months ago, is there any issue on using it ( problem after problem)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i agree 100% but i was thinking is a good idea to give an initial boost for po4 in order to get the above undetectable before adding the coral. What do you think?
you will probably need to dose po4 for a while possibly daily/ weekly/ monthly until your dry rock and substrate maintains an equal balance with your water, that # can then be maintained with normal feeding of fish with fish waste (the best coral food around!) then it will need to be tested occasionally to be sure it doesn't raise to much....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did test previously ( 1 week ago) and i had detectable levels 0,015, however i had to adjust my salinity from 36ppt to 35 ppt and did a bit of dilution adding rodi. I suspect po4 might not be that far apart from detectable levels. I will dose for a few days and see if i can stabilise it. P.S i just saw my nyos phospate additive expired 6 months ago, is there any issue on using it ( problem after problem)

Not sure what that product is, but inorganic phosphate solutions never go bad.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back