Advice wanted on DIY sump with filter roller

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm switching from a 10 gallon AIO to my first proper tank. It's a 50 gallon shallow peninsula and I'm planning on a 20 gallon long sump. I'm going to use a Bubble Magus filter roller. The small size of the filter roller is rated to 1000gph but it doesn't have many reviews. Most of the reviews are with the medium but many people are stating they use the medium for a smaller aquarium... Which size should I go with? I think both sizes will fit in the sump and I'm thinking I won't put more than 500gph through it.

Also I'm planning on getting this divider kit:

That kit will work well correct? Or are there better ones I should look at? It seems most have filter sock holders which I won't need.

Last edited:

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see your pic but I'm using the Bubble Magus medium in a DIY 20 long sump on a 90 gal. I didn't know they made a kit, nice! Is it adjustable? I just used some 1/4" acrylic for baffles.

The roller mat works great. Soooo nice not to deal with socks anymore! I'm using a Mag 9.5 return (950 gph) and it handles it no problem. I chose the medium for the extra filter area but you may not need it with a 50 gal. I'm not familiar with the small one but they rate it at 1000 gph so I'm sure it'll handle 500 no problem.

It's a very simple control. Not much for bells and whistles. Float switch (adjustable) advances the roll & if it gets jammed or to the end of the roll it stops and flashes red. That's about it. You can raise and lower the unit in the sump in about 1" increments and you can change the input to either side.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see your pic but I'm using the Bubble Magus medium in a DIY 20 long sump on a 90 gal. I didn't know they made a kit, nice! Is it adjustable? I just used some 1/4" acrylic for baffles.

The roller mat works great. Soooo nice not to deal with socks anymore! I'm using a Mag 9.5 return (950 gph) and it handles it no problem. I chose the medium for the extra filter area but you may not need it with a 50 gal. I'm not familiar with the small one but they rate it at 1000 gph so I'm sure it'll handle 500 no problem.

It's a very simple control. Not much for bells and whistles. Float switch (adjustable) advances the roll & if it gets jammed or to the end of the roll it stops and flashes red. That's about it. You can raise and lower the unit in the sump in about 1" increments and you can change the input to either side.
I might just go with the small since it's a smaller footprint in the sump but there just aren't that many reviews of it. I don't think the baffle kit is adjustable. It's basically just 3 sheets of acrylic. It's called "Bubblefin Aquarium Sump Refugium DIY Kit for Protein Skimmer Sump - Chamber dividers" on Amazon. I'm pretty sure it's all I need for the chambers but not certain.

DownInTheSumps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @dbleoh7 did you end up getting that kit, and if so how did it work out for you? Currently planning out my upgrade from a 15 AIO to a 40B with sump and came across the same kit

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @dbleoh7 did you end up getting that kit, and if so how did it work out for you? Currently planning out my upgrade from a 15 AIO to a 40B with sump and came across the same kit
The refugium DIY kit for the 20 long sump? It's worked perfectly 10/10 recommend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back