Adding Klir Filter roller to Innovative Marine Sump

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 75 EXT tank. The sump takes three 4” filter socks. I would like to get a filter roller for my sump. I spoke with IM and they told me that there’s a Klir manual model that they have heard works with this sump.

Has anyone does this or has any knowledge of it?
Thanks.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO...

If you do more research, you will be get scared of the Klir brand, even the V2, and know NOT to get one, unless you can find it used just to try out.

But i hear, Klir is the one brand you want to stay away from, and its not worth not just bleaching your socks every week, over having to mess with the sub par motor, along with the very poorly designed water pathway which allows a lot of water to bypass the filter, and on top, the tempermental water sensor which will eat though your roller in a matter of days and not weeks.

I was also considering this as i have a RFS-39 sump.
But after enough research, i gave up from all the dismal first hand commentaries which did not have a sponsored product, and spoke from real experience.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

As an aside, any suggestions on a new sump that I can add a filter roller on? I guess Red Sea is the go to filter roller?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

As an aside, any suggestions on a new sump that I can add a filter roller on? I guess Red Sea is the go to filter roller?

Clarisea is also a very good brand too.

I would probably get one from either Clarisea or Red Sea, as you can even source the rollers in Alibaba, for a moderate discount if you buy in bulk.

But if your going with a sump/roller design from the getgo, Trigger systems makes nice sumps with roller.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

It’ll have to be a new sump, because nothing else will fit with this sum design that I have

I’m wondering if for the time being I can get rid of the three filter socks and just shove filter floss or similar in there and then throw it out and replace. Filter socks are a pain in the butt.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

It’ll have to be a new sump, because nothing else will fit with this sum design that I have

I’m wondering if for the time being I can get rid of the three filter socks and just shove filter floss or similar in there and then throw it out and replace. Filter socks are a pain in the butt.

ive seen someone mod a RFS-39 to take a red sea:
Primary drain will be plumbed into the ReefMat, emergency drain will be plumbed directly into the sump. I suppose you could splice them together but I don't see a huge need to filter what comes down the emergency drain. Maybe that is a mistake on my part that I'll end up regretting.

Don't know the dimensions of the 500 but my guess is it would not fit if you still wanted a skimmer in the sump. The 250 is already a pretty tight fit.

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

Also you could just bypass the first chamber, plumb directly into the skimmer section and put a roller there.

Ive also seen someone mod a Trigger Systems Roller by cutting up the first compartment and leaving it open like like a trigger sump as they are almost the same design.

roller.JPG

You can see the roller at the edge.

The trigger sump looks almost identical to our RFS-39.
sump2.JPG

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO...

If you do more research, you will be get scared of the Klir brand, even the V2, and know NOT to get one, unless you can find it used just to try out.

But i hear, Klir is the one brand you want to stay away from, and its not worth not just bleaching your socks every week, over having to mess with the sub par motor, along with the very poorly designed water pathway which allows a lot of water to bypass the filter, and on top, the tempermental water sensor which will eat though your roller in a matter of days and not weeks.

I was also considering this as i have a RFS-39 sump.
But after enough research, i gave up from all the dismal first hand commentaries which did not have a sponsored product, and spoke from real experience.
Gee, my klir works great..

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside, I’m not sonhappy with my IM sump. There is a space for 3 filter socks. Water goes into the first sock (and around it to the side and misses a sock altogether. Almost no water gets into thr second sock, and I dont even bother putting a sock into the third position as the water never gets that far.

I either need a another (better) sump, or come up with an idea of replacing the socks with something else.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside, I’m not sonhappy with my IM sump. There is a space for 3 filter socks. Water goes into the first sock (and around it to the side and misses a sock altogether. Almost no water gets into thr second sock, and I dont even bother putting a sock into the third position as the water never gets that far.

I either need a another (better) sump, or come up with an idea of replacing the socks with something else.

From running the system for about 2 months now, i can tell you that the filters get dirty one at a time.
As the first one gets dirty, the water level rises in the inlet and the water moves to the second sock, and then the third sock.

You will not have all 3 socks getting dirty at the same time.

So i will wait for the first 2 to get dirty, and then move the third one in the second spot and replace 1 and 3 with fresh bleached filter socks.

I will also polyfilter the top of the sock.

The sump... i honestly have no issues with it besides its very roller unfriendly, but my piping was factory, so any change in the layout would require me to put on a plumber hat.

I would love a roller, but oh wellz, life is never perfect.

And lastly, the sump is too wide.
Id rather have something a bit thicker but gave me about 25% floor space next to the sump and not in front of it, because it makes putting stuff there, and doing maintance on the sump very difficult.

Reefstar97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an IM sump too. Was facing the same dilemna you are.

There’s a 40min session on youtube about the Klir and common mistakes. it eased my mind on all of the issues folks faced. ()

Additionally, it seems the reviews are love it or hate it. With “hate it” being older ones and flagging concerns that the video resolves as poor installation practices.

I bought a couple used ones but haven’t put them in yet.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Thanks for the comments.

I am going too put filter floss one top. Do use the those black flat acrylic pieces on top of the filter sock and then the thin black mesh on top that?

It seems to me that If I am waiting for the first filter sock to get clocked so that the water will flow into the next ones, then I have a dirty filter sock in the water just so that the next one will function.'

I also seem to get some water that misses the socks altogether and go down the side.

You are correct about the plumbing being made for gather layout. That is one thing that is giving me pause about replacing the sump. I can do the plumbing but would rather not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back