Advise on coral withering, please help

mzlskink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, thanks for reading this, I am new to reefing and I am hoping to get some advise on how to proceed on the current stage of my yellow leather coral. It has this brown gunk on it, when I tried it wipe it off yesterday it seems like the coral flesh was breaking away with it. Today the brown gunk is back with some black spots there as well. At first I thought it was probably just some algae but now I am worried that it is some sort of disease that is dissolving the coral.

Below are some images, should I remove the sick yellow leather? Or maybe cut off the infected area to try to preserve it?

My water param seems okay, 1.025 salinity, 79F, pH 8.3, ammonia nitrite low and 10pm nitrate, calcium 450, alkalinity 8dKh. All other corals are fine, sps and the softies

IMG_6329.jpeg IMG_6331.jpeg IMG_6332.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it needs some flow, should not be able for anything to grow on it. And just beside a clam, I am guessing it is a very low flow area. Move it into a higher flow area.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers go through phases of extension followed by retraction, then a silvery coating, then off comes the outer layer.

That’s assuming it’s not being munched on.

Can take great flow which helps it through the process and iodine running 0.06ppm supposed to help as well.

You may no mention of phosphate which is a key element in feeding our systems, which in turn, feed our corals.

OP
OP
M

mzlskink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like your yellow tang has an eye on it. Could it be picking at the coral?
Actually tang doesn’t bother it, but it showed decay and brown/black gunk a day after orange sea star (reef safe I heard) went to played with it for awhile

OP
OP
M

mzlskink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it needs some flow, should not be able for anything to grow on it. And just beside a clam, I am guessing it is a very low flow area. Move it into a higher flow area.
It was on top of rock where it was more lit and better flow, I moved it down in the photo after it’s decaying, the flesh is literally falling off easily near the area of brown/black tissue

OP
OP
M

mzlskink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers go through phases of extension followed by retraction, then a silvery coating, then off comes the outer layer.

That’s assuming it’s not being munched on.

Can take great flow which helps it through the process and iodine running 0.06ppm supposed to help as well.

You may no mention of phosphate which is a key element in feeding our systems, which in turn, feed our corals.
It got munched on by orange sea star I think? But I could be wrong I only saw the starfish wrapping around it for a day. Phosphate was slightly high then I used carbon filter to remove it - I didn’t test for it this time

OP
OP
M

mzlskink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for helping so far, I am also worried it may have some sickness that may infect other corals, should I remove it from tank? The brown/black area is literally crumbling and falling off by chunks

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got munched on by orange sea star I think? But I could be wrong I only saw the starfish wrapping around it for a day. Phosphate was slightly high then I used carbon filter to remove it - I didn’t test for it this time
I’m not sure a carbon filter would do much to bind phosphate, you’d need GFO or an LC product to mop up that organic.

Virtually every leather I’ve owned loved light, especially the white and could take a huge flow.

They also hated being moved at all when happy and could sulk for weeks.

I’m not sure about pulling that, not a coral disease expert, it might foul the water, increase organics, and this itself may cause issues.

OP
OP
M

mzlskink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure a carbon filter would do much to bind phosphate, you’d need GFO or an LC product to mop up that organic.

Virtually every leather I’ve owned loved light, especially the white and could take a huge flow.

They also hated being moved at all when happy and could sulk for weeks.

I’m not sure about pulling that, not a coral disease expert, it might foul the water, increase organics, and this itself may cause issues.
I have been blasting vitachem and reef roids so maybe the nutrition is little too high like you mentioned increase organics. I have another leather, I believe a pink autralia nephthea (beautiful lighter color than my koji wada), it goes through period of falling apart, and once in a while it expand and become 3x size then fall back into depression again... been trying to get it to attach for a month now but it just doesn't want to attach. I've tried breeder cage with pebbles/rocks, toothpick glueing (it breaks out of it), really out of ideas or if it will even survive.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back