After the oil spill: New research sheds light on coral susceptibility to environmenta

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Much attention has been paid to the fate of wildlife living on and above the Gulf of Mexico's surface. Now, new research looks toward the seafloor to explain coral susceptibility to disease outbreaks when they encounter environmental stress and to set the stage for understanding what type of undersea environment is necessary to promote coral health and growth after the oil spill cleanup.

Read more here...

Gill Roy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lived in the Tarpon Springs, FL. area since 1997 and love it here.
I've been watching this from the moment the story broke.
I can't explain how sickened I am over it or how much it scares the bejebus out of me.
I just can't seem to put it out of my thoughts for more than a few minutes. Looking at the photos gives me a terrible sadness, the loss to wildlife and the economy, so far..........
I feel that the thicker heavier crude that is down deep now which hasn't floated up immediately (like what we are seeing atm) will finally surface after some time of being pushed by the currents and storms.
This stuff is gonna land somewhere right?
If this goes on for very much longer it will all be pushed to the tipping point I fear. My real nightmare is the whole gulf ecosystem will collapse if it reaches that apex. This spill if it were completely stopped "right now" would in time (even with cleanup) still touch every mile of the entire gulf coast. Causing some extent of loss to wildlife on a large to small scale and that is "best case" scenario. At this point it has a chance of recovery, but if it continues then what?
They keep saying that it will go around Florida and up the east coast too. All the islands of the Keys are in that path.
Nobody can say it won't but nobody wants to hear or say it will.

I don't know if I should be preparing for an eventual evacuation or not.
I can't stop myself from imagining it being any worse.

Last edited:

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is crazy how some of the smartest people on earth cannot figure out a way to stop this oil from spilling!! it is more ridiculous that there was not a second or third safety shutoff valve put in place!

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is crazy how some of the smartest people on earth cannot figure out a way to stop this oil from spilling!! it is more ridiculous that there was not a second or third safety shutoff valve put in place!

if BP employed the smartest ppl in the world then they wouldnt kill ppl due to their lack of maintence and also their lack of following their own procedures for purging lines before work takes place.

heres some food for your thoughts every time it rains at the whiting refinery there is houses that are flooded with oil.
also is dirt supposed to burn?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back