Inadequate Light and its Impact on SPS Coral Health in Reef Tanks: Analysis, Mitigation, and Monitoring

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduction: I am a new user to R2R, but I have over 15 years of experience in the hobby of reef keeping. I am retired from the Marine Corps but currently work as a clinical researcher so I apologize if the format of my threads is too complicated. I also understand that most of the information I divulge is widely available on the internet but I do get a sense of purpose by posting in a community that focuses its attention on a subject that means so much to me.

Small Polyp Stony (SPS) corals are some of the most captivating and delicate inhabitants of reef tanks. Their successful growth and vibrancy heavily rely on receiving optimal light conditions. In this comprehensive analysis, we will explore the effects of inadequate light on SPS coral health, identify mitigation factors to counteract this issue, and discuss methods to determine if SPS corals are receiving adequate light levels.

1. Impact of Inadequate Light on SPS Coral Health:
1.1. Photosynthesis and Energy Deficiency:SPS corals have a high dependence on light for photosynthesis, as they host zooxanthellae that provide essential nutrients. Insufficient light limits the coral's ability to harness energy through photosynthesis, resulting in decreased nutrient availability and compromised growth rates. Corals may become pale and exhibit reduced polyp extension due to the scarcity of energy-rich compounds.

1.2. Color Loss and Pigmentation Fading proper light exposure is crucial for the development and maintenance of SPS coral colors. Inadequate light can lead to a loss of vibrant pigmentation, causing corals to appear dull and less attractive. The beautiful fluorescent hues characteristic of healthy SPS corals may fade, reflecting the coral's struggle to adapt to low light conditions.

1.3. Slowed Calcification and Skeletal Integrity:SPS corals rely on calcium carbonate deposition for skeletal growth and structural integrity. Inadequate light can disrupt the calcification process, leading to weakened and brittle skeletal structures. Slow calcification results in stunted growth and increased vulnerability to physical damage.

1.4. Reduced Resilience and Susceptibility to Stress:Adequate light exposure is essential for bolstering SPS coral resilience and immune response. Inadequate lighting weakens their ability to combat pathogens and environmental stressors, making them more susceptible to infections and diseases. Stressed corals may struggle to recover from disturbances, leading to further decline in health.

1. Mitigation Factors for Inadequate Light:
2.1. Proper Lighting System Selection:Choosing the right lighting system is paramount for SPS coral health. High-quality LED or T5 fixtures, known for their ability to deliver appropriate light intensity and spectrums, are ideal choices for SPS-dominated reef tanks. Understanding the specific light requirements of different SPS species will aid in selecting the most suitable lighting solution.

2.2. Light Placement and Intensity positioning the light fixtures correctly is crucial to ensure even light distribution across the entire reef tank. SPS corals should be placed at appropriate distances from the light source to prevent photoinhibition or phototoxicity. Utilizing light intensity meters and light penetration simulations can assist in fine-tuning the lighting setup.

2.3. Light Spectrum Adjustment:Adjusting the light spectrum can optimize SPS coral health. Blue spectrum light promotes photosynthesis, while a balanced combination of blue, violet, and UV spectrums enhances coloration and fluorescent pigments in SPS corals.

1. Monitoring SPS Coral Light Requirements:
3.1. Visual Observation:Regularly inspect SPS corals for signs of health, growth, and coloration. Pale or bleached areas, slow growth, and loss of polyp extension are indicative of inadequate light levels.

3.2. Polyp Extension and Feeding:Observe polyp extension during the day to assess SPS coral health. Properly lit SPS corals exhibit extended polyps during daylight hours, suggesting healthy feeding and nutrient uptake.

3.3. Growth Rate and Tissue Expansion:Measure and track SPS coral growth rates over time. Slow or stalled growth may indicate insufficient light, as healthy SPS corals under proper lighting conditions demonstrate steady and consistent growth.

Conclusion:Inadequate light can have severe consequences on the health and appearance of SPS corals in reef tanks. By understanding the impact of insufficient light on photosynthesis, coloration, calcification, and resilience, reef hobbyists can take proactive measures to mitigate these issues. Proper lighting system selection, thoughtful light placement, spectrum adjustments, and diligent monitoring are essential components in ensuring SPS corals receive the optimal light conditions they require to thrive and exhibit their full splendor in the reef tank environment.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good reading, but doesn't other variables also affect growth and polyp extension?

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
Good reading, but doesn't other variables also affect growth and polyp extension?
Definitely, but in this specific thread my aim was focusing on perhaps the simplest variable to master. I can definitely add to the thread and include other factors but I will need some time to write it all out

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there are many things that can affect growth and color, light is the only for-sure thing that gets energy to your SPS. You can also make sure that you have good enough quantity and quality whilst getting those other things right, and it is easy to do. Amount and spectrum are both important.

It often amazes me that people want to raise their waste products like no3 and po4 thinking that they are "feeding" their coral when all the while they are trying to use as little light as possible, or cut the spectrum down to what they eyes like without regard for the coral.

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to share what lights you’re using and the schedule you run
I am using Kessil A360x Tuna Blues, I do not use the Wi-Fi dongle to set a legitimate schedule because I found the interface to be frustrating, but I run the lights at approximately 75% intensity and the complete spectrum of light offered from the unit. I run the lights for 11 hours a day on a timer. So when they come on they come on as bright as they will be and stay that way.

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ton of other variables play a factor but as far as the corals ability to synthesize the nutrients they receive the light is the most important. Much like with humans, sunlight helps to synthesize vitamin D for use. I will continue to post on this thread but it will take some time as it is a laboring process to type all of this out.

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there are many things that can affect growth and color, light is the only for-sure thing that gets energy to your SPS. You can also make sure that you have good enough quantity and quality whilst getting those other things right, and it is easy to do. Amount and spectrum are both important.

It often amazes me that people want to raise their waste products like no3 and po4 thinking that they are "feeding" their coral when all the while they are trying to use as little light as possible, or cut the spectrum down to what they eyes like without regard for the coral.
some corals I’m sure benefit from “dirty water” but providing the appropriate spectrum of light is the pinnacle of coral husbandry. Especially for SPS. Light and Flow are the two most important aspects of keeping stony corals.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Kessil A360x Tuna Blues, I do not use the Wi-Fi dongle to set a legitimate schedule because I found the interface to be frustrating, but I run the lights at approximately 75% intensity and the complete spectrum of light offered from the unit. I run the lights for 11 hours a day on a timer. So when they come on they come on as bright as they will be and stay that way.
So you don't do any ramp up or down?

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe an article ? and thank you
I don’t have a particular article that I am referencing, I gathered this information from multiple sources including forums, YouTube, speakers at conventions, etc.. a lot of people stray away from SPS because of its history of being difficult to keep but I’m hoping to eliminate some fears from anyone trying to step into SPS by outlining the most important factor, light.

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you don't do any ramp up or down?
not daily, I have a process that I do when I’m adding corals but it’s just placing the corals in corners with less intense light and gradually get them used to the intensity before cementing them in their permanent place. I haven’t had issues with bleaching or anything, I attribute that to slowly introducing corals to the brightness

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a particular article that I am referencing, I gathered this information from multiple sources including forums, YouTube, speakers at conventions, etc.. a lot of people stray away from SPS because of its history of being difficult to keep but I’m hoping to eliminate some fears from anyone trying to step into SPS by outlining the most important factor, light.
What information can you share on over lighting SPS? How will they react differently from underlighting?

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not daily, I have a process that I do when I’m adding corals but it’s just placing the corals in corners with less intense light and gradually get them used to the intensity before cementing them in their permanent place. I haven’t had issues with bleaching or anything, I attribute that to slowly introducing corals to the brightness
What information can you share on over lighting SPS? How will they react differently from underlighting?
Over-lighting will cause the expulsion of the zooxanthellae (bleaching).
Under-lighting will limit the corals ability to generate enough energy to grow or repair itself.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be using two of these over my new SPS setup which is 36"x24"x12"tall.
But until the tank gets here, I am using them to get a tan. Maybe I'll get purple tips. Who knows?:cool:

All jokes aside, these lights are no joke. The settings you mention produce a very strong white with a pinkish hue.
It's like strong t-5 only in point source.

I'm ordering the 55 degree reflectors though. The spillover is brutal on these if running them out in the open.
I have no doubts they will do the job.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back