Aggressive Blue hippo in isolation box

hdemetri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is regarding an aggressive 3 inch blue hippo tang in my saltwater aquarium. The aquarium is 163 gallons. I added a new female watanabei angelfish to the tank. The hippo tang became very aggressive and has attacked the angelfish nonstop. The hippo tang has never shown any aggression in the tank since I purchased it 4 months ago when it was only about 1.5 inches. I was able to separate the fish but the angelfish was left with some scratches and torn fins. I put the angelfish in an acclimation box for 3 days. I also dipped it in some seachem Stress Guard which seamed to help heal the fins remarkably well. I released it back in the tank and used mirrors to distract the blue hippo tang. This did not work and the blue hippo tang started to attack the angelfish again. I now captured the blue hippo tang and put it in the acclimation box. The angelfish is doing well in the main part of the tank and eating great. What do I do next? I want to safely release the hippo tang back in the display tank but I am not sure how long to keep it in the acclimation box and not sure if the aggression will subside on its own. The hippo is pretty restless in the acclimation box.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to get rid of one of them.

OP
OP
H

hdemetri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to get rid of one of them.
You are probably right on this. Before rehoming my fish, I am going to try all methods to make it work without letting anything die. Since my hippo has been the most docile fish in my tank, I am hoping the aggression will subside.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably right on this. Before rehoming my fish, I am going to try all methods to make it work without letting anything die. Since my hippo has been the most docile fish in my tank, I am hoping the aggression will subside.
Does your hippo sleep in the rockwork? Sump him for a bit, move the rock he sleeps in to a different spot in the tank, then try to reintroduce. Mine goes absolutely nuts when anyone is near his home

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Hippo Tang in with a Flameback and a Vox Angel Fish, with no problems. Have you tried an automatic feeder? I have the PetBank from Amazon, that is rechargeable, feeds the fish four times a day. Found out the Auto Feeders cut down on aggression.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sounds like any new additions to your tank will need to be thought out very carefully moving forward if you choose to keep the hippo.

I agree with a previous commenter: send him to the sump for a few days and rearrange the rock work a bit. Then he will be the newcomer. There’s a chance that you’ll have to do this with every new addition unless you’re adding fish that look remarkably different from angels and tangs so I might consider making new additions while he’s in the sump now instead of waiting. Having multiple additions at the same time also helps to divert aggression. Another thought it to add another tang or two. I keep 6 tangs together along with a swallowtail and a 5 dwarf angels. There’s zero aggression. Largely because there isn’t a single fish to beat up on but rather a whole gang if anyone gets out of line.

OP
OP
H

hdemetri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your hippo sleep in the rockwork? Sump him for a bit, move the rock he sleeps in to a different spot in the tank, then try to reintroduce. Mine goes absolutely nuts when anyone is near his home
Yes. It has 2 favorite spots. Uses one part of the rockwork for sleep and the other for hiding. I can certainly try that. As for my sump, I need to figure out how to block my Vectra M2 return pump from sucking up the fish.

OP
OP
H

hdemetri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Hippo Tang in with a Flameback and a Vox Angel Fish, with no problems. Have you tried an automatic feeder? I have the PetBank from Amazon, that is rechargeable, feeds the fish four times a day. Found out the Auto Feeders cut down on aggression.
I have that same auto feeder. I have my wife adding extra nori while I'm at work. It helps.

OP
OP
H

hdemetri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like any new additions to your tank will need to be thought out very carefully moving forward if you choose to keep the hippo.

I agree with a previous commenter: send him to the sump for a few days and rearrange the rock work a bit. Then he will be the newcomer. There’s a chance that you’ll have to do this with every new addition unless you’re adding fish that look remarkably different from angels and tangs so I might consider making new additions while he’s in the sump now instead of waiting. Having multiple additions at the same time also helps to divert aggression. Another thought it to add another tang or two. I keep 6 tangs together along with a swallowtail and a 5 dwarf angels. There’s zero aggression. Largely because there isn’t a single fish to beat up on but rather a whole gang if anyone gets out of line.
That's a great idea. I already have 2 rabbitfish and a sailfin tang. Other fish are gobies, clowns, and a wrasse. I was worried about overstocking but 163 gallons should still hold 1 or 2 more.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use a small mirror taped to the side of the tank, your tang will attack itself in the mirror for a few days and should leave the angel alone. i bought a 12x12 mirror at hobby lobby for like 6 bucks. I have many tangs and angels in my tank and have had to use this method each time. can take between 1 and 3 days. also shorten your day light schedule a little and feed extra. they are working out dominance and the tang is making sure the angel knows that this is its feeding territory. if that doesnt work then you will likely have to decide between the 2

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back