Aggressive fish that become manageable in a bigger tank?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently working on my stock list for my new 180gal peninsula build. I've never had the luxury of being able to keep anything larger than a 65, so this is a big step for me!

I'm wondering about aggression in fish and how that changes / becomes more manageable in bigger tanks. I think of fish like dottybacks, often little devils in smaller tanks like I tried years ago, but I see them in bigger tanks and they seem to be much more relaxed. Same with hawkfish, damsels, and maybe a few others. Is this actually a thing, or is it just my perception that more pugnacious fish can be more manageable in a bigger tank? Previously I have hesitate to add these, but I'm wondering whether this bigger tank might unlock some possibilities for my stocking.

Any thoughts about this, and/or some fish that may have been borderline in my 65 that would be more upstanding community members in a larger tank, would be incredibly appreciated!

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression can sometimes be diminished just by changing the rock work around. Fish get territorial, so moving rocks around alters the territories, and they can reestablish themselves, and if things go right, everyone is happy (if there is enough room and hiding spots). Gonna do this before adding more fish to my tank with 2 bully clowns. Hope it works again.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I was just looking at my tank and thinking about this. I have a similar sized tank, 6 feet long, about 20 fish. Alot of the time they all seem to like to gather, within the last foot of the right side of tank. In formation swimming against the current, in perfect harmony. Then my bipolar desjardini changes color and gives chase to the least suspecting fish. It darts away, into and through the rocks coming out on the other side, and everybody's happy again. I think the advantage of a larger tank is giving them enough space to be able to get away and feel safe. Hard for a aggressive fish to forget about its victim if he never loses sight of it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back